EOWG task force f2f, Melbourne 12. - 13. Dec 2005

12 Dec 2005


Andrew, Helle, Shawn, Wayne



agenda review

Shawn: overview page: http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/components-slides
...plus other slides issues
... also glossary - EO draft and ATAG + WCAG additions
... slides to be predominantly in ages, add extra text and notes to slides as "handout" div in slidy <div class="handout">

Helle: pointed out the restating the MYTH all the time actually reinforces the myth

business case slides

Andrew: requirements - audience = general overview of what the BC resource suite contains. An in-company presentation would be too specific for WAI to cover

Wayne: could act as a frameowrk for the organisation version to build on

Reqs - purpose: a) accessibility aware audience - refresh people's mind about the different benefits & present a framework for arguing for accessibility

Reqs - purpose: b) as part of a class - to broaden the beneficiaries that people think about (internal & external)

Note: encourage people to fill in their own stats (within an org or within a country)

Discussion: decided to aproach slides with a twin focus of social (right thing to do) plus organisation's bottom-line
    Wayne:  In general, present short lists of key examples, rather than exhaustive lists of all possibilities. For example, in beneficiares, perhaps concentrate on PDAs, cell phones and restricted environments. Then hand out the complet list of beneficiaries.:

shawn: suggest the idea of not restricting our selves to he format or structure of the BC document

andrew: maybe start broarder and then progressively tie it back to the BC document
... many factors that we actually list have many benefits - across the four areas

Helle: The wish list is to broaden the scope in the bginning and inrodution of the business case.

discussion: pragmatically, we need a generic version that could be customised for any organisation - easier to follow the BC doc structure for V1
... this version becomes an intro to the business case doc - we should keep the grander plan for later

Shawn: include in the handouts the fact that bthe BC doc is a "cafeteria plan" including questions to guide your choice of factors to include
... http://www.w3.org/WAI/bcase/Overview.html#custom + questions

Approach: use Andrew's OZeWAI slides as the starting point

Andrew: possible title - Benefits of Web Accessibility: Developing a Business Case

Shawn: ... for your Organisation

Note: an intro slide needed to be developed

we just had a fire-drill evacuations - hence the absence of response

Wayne: suggested social factors pts: a) Essential for equity and diversity, b) Benefits people with and without disability, c) A part of corporate responsibility

Group: V1 of the slides is just the basic outline (with some editorial for readability as slides) with speakers notes that basically link to the appropraite part of the BC doc and may have a few suggestions for additional slides at the start [slidy - http://www.w3.org/Talks/Tools/Slidy/]


See: http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/glossary/glossary-2005-12-12

discussion: bar/drinking/pub/trivia games for wai groups - "this term [] is in which WAI glossary?"
... added atag and wcag terms to glossary table - see version online

Discusison: Tuesday - consider term definitions in light of differences

Meeting closed: 1840

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: CHANGELOG - 'weak image' add browser etc labels to to other boxes [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action11]
[NEW] ACTION: CHANGELOG - add WAI logo to w3c logo in header [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action14]
[NEW] ACTION: CHANGELOG - put all 'weak' images in one slide, titled "when any component is weak" with a subpoint "impact: less accessible web" [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action12]
[NEW] ACTION: CHANGELOG "Essential Components Interdependent" slide - change "WAI guidelines" to emphasise 'multiple' guidelines (not just WCAG) [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: CHANGELOG "Essential Components Interdependent" slide - remove MYTH and state in the positive. move myth discussion to speakers notes [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: CHANGELOG - add to consider later list - expand notes to include the three groups in "Content Develper" [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: CHANGELOG - examples slide - add to "alt image" the HTML spec bit [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: CHANGELOG - Examples slide - break into three parts and build - a) checkpoint + content b) add in developer + tools c) add in user + UA & AT [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action09]
[NEW] ACTION: CHANGELOG - last slide FMI -add link to WAI homepage [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action15]
[NEW] ACTION: CHANGELOG - low priority - cleanup examples slide image overlaps [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action08]
[NEW] ACTION: CHANGELOG - slides to be predominantly im ages, add extra text and notes to slides as "handout" div in slidy
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: CHANGELOG - wishlist, develop another (non-alt text) example. make any examples link in the main document, rather than incorporated directly. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action10]
[NEW] ACTION: CHANGELOG ALL WAI SLIDESETS (with handout notes) - encourage presenters to print and provide as a handout PLUS provide the reference at start and finish [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action16]
[NEW] ACTION: CHANGELOG leave guidelines listing slide for display as a wrap-up reminder [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action13]
[NEW] ACTION: SLH - [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: SLH - slides to be predominantly im ages, add extra text and notes to slides as "handout" div in slidy
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: wayne & andrew to prepare a mockup with exact headings (with suggested rewordings in brackets) plus customising slide (cafeteria plan) plus additional presenters instructions (such as adding local stats) at the start [slidy - http://www.w3.org/Talks/Tools/Slidy/] http://www.w3.org/2005/12/11-EO-minutes.html#action17]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.127 (CVS log)
$Date: 2006/01/10 12:46:16 $