21 Oct 2005


See also: IRC log


Jack, Judy, Bingham, George_Heake, Justin_Thorp, Pasquale, Loughborough, wayne, Shawn, Helle, Liam, Tanguy
[needs, to, be, culled, from, EOWG, e-mail, list]




<pasquale> hi all, good morning ;-)

<pasquale> zakim IPcaller is pasquale

<shawn> :-)

<LiamM> having problems with getting onto Zakim... will keep trying. In the meantime am here on irc

<shawn> scribe: Jack

<shawn> scribenick: Jack

<shawn> minor question on Involving Users in Web Accessibility Evaluation: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-eo/2005OctDec/0052.html

Review of agenda and add new items

<LiamM> Tanguy is also present

Judy: Agenda will include Outreach updates, Evaluation Tools for Web Accessibility - search/sort, business case promotion

outreach update

William: Very encouraging that Europen approach is in harmony with W3C material

Judy: Encourages people to read the material from Barry

TongO: Talks about memo to memo webmasters that deals with accessibility

Judy: Will 92 criteria be maintained as European standards issued?

Tanguy: Not sure

<shawn> minor question on Involving Users in Web Accessibility Evaluation: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-eo/2005OctDec/0052.html

Call for review on Users in Web Accessibility Evaluation

Shawn: Appreciates feedback. Has question about Optimizing Usability Testing for Accessibility Issues
... Should the note be up in the page contents since it is not a major focus of the document
... Should this be an H2? What should the text of the heading be?

Liam: Minor question. Leave as is.

George: Agrees with Liam to leave as is.

<pasquale> i like as it is

<LiamM> Liam suggests that the word 'formal' be included in the text linking to the note.

<LiamM> Shawn agrees

<scribe> scribe: jack

evaluation tools for web sort

<shawn> ACTION: shawn, Involving Users doc: within the main text, include the word "Formal" in the link "usability tests can be optimized". leave Optimising for UT as <h3> with current wording [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/10/21-eo-minutes.html#action01]

Judy: Postpone this until next Friday

Business Case Promotion

Judy: Gives background. Worked on several years. The approach was one of building your own. Is still the level of interest? Have people heard that it is being used? Are people using it in their organization or outreach efforts?

George: Sent it on listserve and presented to educators. Response has been very positive.

Shawn: Based on feedback on web. Responses are positive but some say it is long.

Judy: Other responses or experiences?
... How could it made more useable? Would a slide set help? Perhaps a demo?

Shawn: Perhaps an article or something to put in a newletter?

Jack: That would be useful.
... Could be useful especially for an organization that is large, decentralized and encounters web accessibility at different times

Wayne: Can also be useful for a university system

Judy: How can it be used?

Wayne: Will look at issues dealing with policy and process issue. May need to add a section on 'How to get started?'

William: This document is for those where the wall have already been kicked down. There is a need for a document that helps to knock the walls in the first place.

Judy: Can you clarify?

William: Many places are still not ready to recognize that they have accesssibility needs

Judy: Other reactions to Wayne's comments

<pasquale> soory seems my mic dont work

George: In middle of a K-12 competition. The business model may be useful, especially with community colleges

Justin: University system in Michigan is similar to what Wayne describes. May also have uses with particular classes and help students understand case for accessibility

Judy: Are there additional things we could do to make this useable? Such as an introduction.
... Perhaps articles. Perhaps case studies - though this might be too labor intensive

Shawn: Perhaps a slide set. This could provide a lot of use for minimal effort

Judy: Lets focus of the idea of a slide set for right now

George: A slide set would be a good idea. Perhaps links to case studie
... Perhaps links to examples

<shawn> (doh, just found a comma missing in the business case :/

Judy: It would be great to meet that goal but need to maintain vendor neutrality

<shawn> George: ...graphical...

Shawn: Clarifies George's comment that examples of particular issues

Wayne: Thinks slide set is a good idea, but it needs to be accessible

<shawn> (discussion on how it fits in the process, what you do first)

<pasquale> sorry, my mic doesn't work, i'll send email to the list with my experiences about it ;-(

Liam: Can be useful but we probably make up our own sets of slides depending on client and especially their acceptance of the need for accessibility and hostility

<pasquale> ok

Judy: The more resistence of the audience the more that data is needed?
... Slides may be the best low effort and return item. Is there a better approach than a mini-slide set.

<pasquale> on Sept 6, I gave a 4 hours talk about

<pasquale> "Web accessibility: opportunities and rules". Audience: functionaries of Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Naples.

<pasquale> Content: Web accessibility opportunities and rules for Government and

<pasquale> Administration

<pasquale> Readings:

<pasquale> Introduction to Web Accessibility

<pasquale> http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/accessibility.php

<pasquale> How People with Disabilities Use the Web

<pasquale> http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/PWD-Use-Web/

<pasquale> Developing a Web Accessibility Business Case for Your Organization

<shawn> Shawn: about RSS feed: started listing all the pointers to the business case, but stopped 'cause there are too many -- in all sorts of places & languages - looks like a couple 100

<pasquale> http://www.w3.org/WAI/bcase/Overview

<pasquale> and the results and feedback was really good!

<pasquale> I'm going to translate it into italian ;-)

Wayne: Brief annoucements used in conjunction with slide sets could be effective

Judy: Staying with slide set approach. What do you want to see included?

<pasquale> all the document

<pasquale> no,

Shawn: Reading Pasquale's comments since his microphone is not working

<judy_dc> can't hear me?

Shawn: Has anyone does slides already?

Wayne: Slide set should address different levels of acceptance

Jack: Different levels of knowledge and acceptance of accessibility on the web

William: Different history should be reflected in slides

Judy: Expains more of the background that William is refering to with MicroSoft and accessibility
... To have the case studies work well they would have to be directly retlated to web accessibility
... Should we have Shawn add an introduction?

Shawn: Probably not.

Judy: Any other ideas?

Liam: Taking a step back and talking to people that this is a hard struggle

Judy: A resource document for advocates?

Wayne: Important thought - but have not done anything with it
... A web-based survey form to deal with the need for web accessibility

Justin: Would it be possible to give things to bloggers

William: Need a clipping service

Judy: Paying attention to timing. Simple strategies such slides sets, blogger names, mentions in conference may have a multiplier effect

<Zakim> shawn, you wanted to say we need that 3 carrots & a stick image.

Judy: Any follow-up thoughts that people have are welcomed

Justin: There are many public clipping services that may be useful

<pasquale> by all

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: shawn, Involving Users doc: within the main text, include the word "Formal" in the link "usability tests can be optimized". leave Optimising for UT as

with current wording [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/10/21-eo-minutes.html#action01]
[End of minutes]

Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.127 (CVS log)
$Date: 2005/10/21 14:23:17 $

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.127  of Date: 2005/08/16 15:12:03  
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/Togan/Tanguy/
Found Scribe: Jack
Found ScribeNick: Jack
Found Scribe: jack
Inferring ScribeNick: Jack
Default Present: Jack, Judy, Bingham, George_Heake, Justin_Thorp, Loughborough, Pasquale, wayne, Shawn, Helle, LiamM
Present: Jack Judy Bingham George_Heake Justin_Thorp Pasquale Loughborough wayne Shawn Helle Liam Tanguy
Regrets: [needs to be culled from EOWG e-mail list]
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-eo/2005OctDec/0046.html
Got date from IRC log name: 21 Oct 2005
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2005/10/21-eo-minutes.html
People with action items: shawn

[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]