IRC log of tagmem on 2005-06-14

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:09:23 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #tagmem
13:09:23 [RRSAgent]
logging to
13:09:40 [DanC_lap]
"We deserve a prize for finding this room! Native guides should have met us at the door." -- HT
13:13:38 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #tagmem
13:19:28 [DanC_lap]
Zakim, this is tag
13:19:28 [Zakim]
sorry, DanC_lap, I do not see a conference named 'tag' in progress or scheduled at this time
13:21:36 [DanC_lap]
13:21:52 [DanC_lap]
Zakim, VQ is in Stata601
13:21:52 [Zakim]
sorry, DanC_lap, I do not recognize a party named 'Stata601'
13:23:01 [DanC_lap]
Present: VQ, NM, RF, TBL, DC, ER, HT; DO remote; NDW on his way
13:24:05 [Ed]
Ed has joined #tagmem
13:27:59 [DanC_mtg]
"DC: Acked to discuss 1) RDDL, the XQuery namespaces, Schema Component Designators and abstractComponentRefs-37/WSDL"
13:28:08 [noah_home]
noah_home has joined #tagmem
13:28:11 [DanC_mtg]
"DC: Acked to discuss 1) RDDL, the XQuery namespaces, Schema Component Designators and abstractComponentRefs-37/WSDL"
13:28:17 [DanC_mtg]
13:29:48 [Vincent]
Vincent has joined #tagmem
13:39:19 [DanC_mtg]
13:39:27 [DanC_mtg]
Norm has arrived in Stata601
13:39:51 [ht]
ht has joined #tagmem
13:44:18 [Roy]
Roy has joined #tagmem
13:46:45 [Norm]
Norm has joined #tagmem
13:46:53 [timbl]
timbl has joined #tagmem
13:47:18 [DanC_mtg]
ndw offers for Tue am
13:47:33 [DanC_mtg]
ER for Wed PM
13:47:37 [timbl]
Ed: Wed pm
13:47:45 [timbl]
HT: Thu am
13:48:07 [timbl]
RF: Thu pm
13:48:20 [timbl]
NM: Tue pm
13:49:09 [timbl]
Norm and Henry will duck out for a 10 minutes at 11:00 ET tomorrow.
13:49:35 [timbl]
Switch: N ow we have Ed Wed am, Norm Wed pm
13:50:03 [timbl]
Topic: Discussion of the form of the minutes
13:51:51 [timbl]
The minute takers should take responsibility for the end product.
13:52:16 [timbl]
Changes to scribing: Norm offers to do Tim's work, starting now
13:52:31 [timbl]
13:52:36 [noah]
scribe: noah
13:52:44 [timbl]
Dan this afternoon
13:52:47 [noah]
Meeting: 14 June 2005 Tag Face to Face
13:53:01 [noah]
Topic: approving minutes of previous telcon
13:53:09 [DanC_mtg]
-> 31 May minutes
13:53:39 [noah]
RESOLVED: approve minutes of 31 May minutes at
13:53:49 [noah]
Topic: Schedule next telcon
13:54:09 [noah]
VQ: Should we have another telcon on 21 June?
13:54:22 [noah]
DC: Yes, do it for now.
13:54:30 [noah]
NW: possible regrets
13:54:41 [noah]
NW: never mind, no regrets
13:54:55 [timbl]
Regrets for 21st.
13:55:05 [noah]
TBL: Regrets for 21st
13:55:24 [noah]
NM: Regrets for 21st, at W3C Schema futures meeting.
13:55:30 [noah]
VQ: for now, the meeting is on
13:55:32 [DanC_mtg]
(regrets from me too for 21 Jun)
13:55:42 [noah]
DC: Regrets for 21st
13:55:59 [noah]
Topic: Discussing agenda for the Face to Face
13:56:17 [noah]
Agenda is at:
13:56:36 [timbl]
When do we expect Dave to call in?
13:56:39 [noah]
VQ: Our main goal for this meeting is to figure out our goals and strategies leading to, say, 2006
13:56:46 [noah]
VQ: propose to discuss every morning?
13:57:47 [noah]
DC: is all morning too much time.
13:58:06 [noah]
NM: Rest of our time is flexible, can we just adapt.
13:58:13 [amy]
amy has joined #tagmem
13:58:24 [noah]
TBL: Dave should be there, especially for discussing web services arch?
13:58:38 [DanC_mtg]
Amy, DaveO said he plans to call in to this meeting around now; I wonder if there's a number for him to call
13:58:38 [noah]
HT: Should spend at least this morning, and should do round robin.
13:58:42 [DanC_mtg]
Zakim, list
13:58:42 [Zakim]
I see VB_VBWG()10:00AM active
13:58:44 [Zakim]
also scheduled at this time are WAI_TIES()10:00AM, SVG_WG()10:00AM, HTML_XHTML(editors)10:00AM, SW_BPD(rdfxhtml)10:00AM
13:58:59 [amy]
need a bridge?
13:59:12 [amy]
just a sec....
13:59:25 [noah]
VQ: OK, for today we'll do it all morning, then see where we stand.
13:59:59 [noah]
VQ: Is 8:30 OK for Wed & Thurs?
14:00:14 [timbl]
Amy, we have just a phoe ... no polycom
14:00:24 [amy]
14:00:45 [amy]
ok, I'll get the one from your office and bring it up
14:00:53 [amy]
do you also want a bridge for all three days?
14:01:04 [noah]
TBL: may not make 8:30, but start without me
14:02:29 [noah]
NM: Suggest we start 8:30 and do issues of minor interest until Tim shows at 9.
14:04:13 [noah]
VQ: As to rest of agenda, I've listed some other issues and findings to be considered. Got these by reviewing prev telcon minutes. I missed the one Dan wanted to raise.
14:04:25 [timbl]
amy, thanks!
14:05:00 [amy]
bridge done, passcode as normal, 0TAG
14:05:03 [amy]
bringing up phone...
14:05:28 [DanC_mtg]
-> XSL/XML Query functions and operators namespace document Norman Walsh (Tuesday, 5 April)
14:05:54 [Norm]
QT F&O Namespace document:
14:05:59 [noah]
DC: My concerns cross several of these. I want to review the namespace document for the XQuery stuff. That relates to namespaceDocument-8, abstractComponentRefs-37, and possibly some others. This is not a new issue, but relates to several existing.
14:06:46 [noah]
XXX SCRIBES NOTE TO SELF: put in ref to Query note.
14:07:44 [noah]
HT: I would like to talk more about security issues later.
14:08:41 [noah]
NM: Note that I sent a draft on schemeProtocols-49. See and . Read it before our discussions of that issue if you have a chance.
14:08:53 [noah]
Topic: Upcoming F2F Scheduling
14:09:30 [noah]
VQ: Current schedule is for 20-22 September in Edinburgh, Scotland
14:09:55 [noah]
HT: We may be invited to dinner Tues night, please let me know if any spouses are likely to attend.
14:10:35 [noah]
HT: OK, I'll assume 9 +/- 2. That uncertainty is no problem.
14:11:47 [amy]
amy has left #tagmem
14:11:51 [noah]
HT: Travel crunch shouldn't be too bad then, as festival has ended.
14:12:45 [noah]
ACTION: Henry Thompson to send F2F logistics to Vincent for meeting page
14:13:08 [noah]
s/Travel crunch/Bed crunch/
14:14:52 [noah]
VQ: there is an AC meeting in Montreal
14:15:06 [dorchard]
dorchard has joined #tagmem
14:15:11 [noah]
VQ: Tech plenary will be in late Feb, early March, probably on riviera.
14:15:58 [ht]
will do
14:16:07 [noah]
NM: What if we do tech plenary to meet other groups, and then split difference to do late fall,
14:16:17 [noah]
14:16:34 [noah]
HT: Right, which puts us at the AC meeting in Montreal late November.
14:17:46 [noah]
VQ: Dates of AC are Nov. 29 - Dec. 1 in Montreal
14:18:57 [noah]
VQ: Who will go in Montreal. Many positive responses. Dave O. says he cannot travel that entire week.
14:19:40 [noah]
HT: What about week before. Uh... US Thanksgiving.
14:20:03 [noah]
DO: Proceed without me. I'll be in Edinburgh.
14:22:01 [noah]
HT: What about Mon Tues week after XML 2005.
14:22:05 [noah]
NW and HT: Doesn't work.
14:22:28 [noah]
TBL: more travel this fall is tough.
14:23:19 [dorchard]
Could do nov 29, Dec 2 TAG meeting.
14:23:34 [noah]
NM: Tim, is there any way to line this up with the AC meeting for you?
14:23:48 [noah]
HT: Uh...won't there be a team meeting Friday after the AC?
14:23:53 [noah]
TBL: Actually, somewhat unclear.
14:25:01 [noah]
Various: What about 5th and 6th December?
14:25:04 [noah]
TBL: Where?
14:25:13 [noah]
HT: Kansas City?
14:25:14 [DanC_mtg]
considering 5-6 Dec... Montreal ... or Cambridge...
14:25:25 [noah]
Various: What about Cambridge?
14:26:07 [noah]
DO: What about straddling AC?
14:26:13 [noah]
NW: Rather not.
14:26:23 [noah]
VQ: What about 5&6 here?
14:27:16 [DanC_mtg]
(yes, there's a w3c team day Fri 2 Dec. 99%odds. planning in the works)
14:27:30 [noah]
VQ: Dave O., can you make that?
14:27:58 [noah]
DO: scribe perceives a mumble from Dave that sounds like a yes.
14:28:33 [noah]
RESOLVED: We will have a TAG meeting for 2 days in Cambridge hosted by W3C 5-6 December 2005
14:29:03 [noah]
RESOLVED: We will have a TAG meeting in conjunction with the Feb/March 2006 Tech. Plenary in France, exact dates TBD.
14:32:18 [noah]
Topic: Summer vacation plans
14:32:27 [noah]
VQ: I have to decide my summer vacation dates.
14:32:51 [noah]
VQ: Propose not to be involved first 3 weeks of August.
14:39:14 [noah]
We spend some time proving that for every week over the summer, at least one person is missing.
14:39:51 [noah]
Proposal: we will have calls through 20th of July, then take a break with next call being 23rd of August.
14:40:03 [noah]
Tim and Noah, as well as others, will miss some in July.
14:41:55 [noah]
s/through 20th/through 19th/
14:45:29 [noah]
Topic: Document management
14:45:55 [noah]
From the agenda: "Should we revise the way we maintain the issues list and pending actions?"
14:46:24 [noah]
VQ: Should I be doing more about document management?
14:46:34 [noah]
VQ: Norm is tracking errata?
14:46:54 [noah]
NW: Right, but a bit behind. Will find time to do an errata doc soon.
14:47:00 [noah]
VQ: OK, action is continuing.
14:47:37 [noah]
VQ: We also have the public list Mail Archives
14:47:50 [noah]
VQ: are we monitoring sufficiently?
14:47:56 [noah]
DC & NW: yes, we are.
14:48:46 [noah]
VQ: We also have the findings list. Noah has sent a new draft.
14:49:11 [Norm]
NM's new finding:
14:49:32 [noah]
Actually, the stable link should be:
14:49:55 [noah]
I just fixed it. Was broken over the weekend due to messing up the checkin of png's.
14:50:45 [noah]
Some discussion of whether to put drafts on the findings list or only approved.
14:50:57 [noah]
DC: OK either way as long as it's clear, but I don't need unapproved there.
14:51:06 [noah]
VQ: I'll keep them straight.
14:51:35 [noah]
ACTION: Vincent to add draft finding on schemeProtocols-49 to findings page (link is
14:52:07 [noah]
VQ: any more logistics
14:52:19 [noah]
??: any more discussion where to put minutes?
14:52:25 [noah]
HT: I'll let it go?
14:53:43 [noah]
NM: I recall that there was a strong push that something stable be linkable by the time the next agenda goes out. So, we're deciding that anything table is OK?
14:53:50 [noah]
Various: right.
14:54:04 [noah]
TBL: Well, uh stuff in email attachments isn't easily fixed,
14:54:21 [noah]
Various: right, and that takes us into the discussion that we're not reopening, so we won't.
14:54:29 [noah]
Topic: Goals and Plans for Future Tag work
14:54:46 [noah]
VQ: we've had various inputs from various people on this
14:55:19 [noah]
VQ: one question is, what do we plan to produce as documents?
14:55:52 [noah]
VQ: that said, I propose we first discuss long term directions, then the right documents to produce
14:56:18 [noah]
VQ: First document was Noah's
14:56:45 [noah]
NM: No, actually first was from Tim:
14:57:29 [noah]
TBL: My feelings unchanged since writing the note.
14:57:42 [noah]
TBL: WebArch doc seems to have been effective. The form worked well.
14:58:34 [noah]
TBL: let us discuss both the core findings and the rationale behind them
14:59:05 [noah]
TBL: therefore, prefer to grow the scope, while working in the same general framework and style
14:59:28 [noah]
TBL: semantic web and web services seem to be the two major scopes to consider
15:00:23 [noah]
TBL: could look for other high priority issues as well, but mainly looking for high priority ones. Probably things like httpRange-14 are best seen in the context of the larger architectural issues.
15:01:07 [noah]
TBL: somewhat the first phase we claimed to have topic experts in the room, that may be less true as we move into semantic web and web services. In those cases we serve more as journalists.
15:01:40 [noah]
TBL: there has been a lot of formal work done on sem web, but could be better integrated and tied into Web arch itself.
15:02:49 [noah]
TBL: on web services, the last effort at architecture, didn't gel. Some concern that the folks who drive web services haven't put in place enough clean architecture for us to help crystalize.
15:03:32 [timbl]
TBL: If we were to work on WS arch, we would not be documenting retrospectively but doing design work, it seems.
15:03:49 [timbl]
TBL: ... And it isn't design work which we shoul dbe doing.
15:03:53 [noah]
HT: We started on web arch 10 years after the web, sem web would be 5 years, arguably on web services it isnt; there yet.
15:04:27 [noah]
HT: we do better when there is an established body of practice. The current experts don't always give you clean answers.
15:04:45 [noah]
ER: But in my experience, that's exactly where we could make a contribution.
15:04:52 [noah]
TBL: doesn't ws-i do that?
15:04:56 [noah]
ER: does architecture follow?
15:05:25 [noah]
DC: W3C looks better looking back.
15:06:01 [noah]
DC: we don't want to be saying "stop, or I'll say stop again"
15:06:55 [noah]
TBL: sometimes W3C needs to do design, but not TAG
15:07:33 [noah]
TBL: TAG designs mainly at the level of doing glue to cover things that don't line up
15:09:07 [dorchard]
15:12:14 [DanC_mtg]
ack dorchard
15:12:53 [noah]
NM: I think our main responsibility to Sem Web and Web services should be to (a) make sure they use the core mechanisms of the Web itself appropriately and (b) in doing that, see whether they teach us more about what we need to document about the Web architecture itself.
15:13:39 [noah]
DO: Web Services does indeed deviate from core web architecture more than Sem Web. For example, the first versions of SOAP didn't do HTTP Get.
15:14:07 [noah]
DO: Clearly Web Services doesn't use the RESTful mechanisms of uniform interfaces.
15:14:34 [noah]
DO: now with WSA we see lack of use of Web Arch primarily for creating asynchronous stateful services.
15:15:12 [noah]
DO: service will have stateful instance, and you'll want to have async interactions with that. Client doesn't know much about state, except for need to echo things.
15:15:47 [noah]
DO: there is very little reuse of REST
15:16:15 [timbl]
q+ to agree that Web Services are fundamentally different architecture - a remote operations architecture, not an information space architecture. These are distinct patterns, and both have their uses. One can build one on top of the other, either way up, but one doesn't have to pretend that they are the same or should be the same.
15:16:59 [noah]
q+ to say that we may need to be a bit more careful about the layering of our use of the term Web. Is the Web really only REST, or is REST just the most widely deployed part.
15:17:25 [noah]
DO: note that cookies are widely used on the web for stateful things. We can learn some messages from those.
15:17:40 [ht]
q+ to ask where "The W W W" starts and ends
15:18:20 [noah]
DO: we've not necessarily made it easy. SOAP Response hasn't been well adopted. Maybe if the web were more friendly to stateful interaction, WS would have an easier time leveraging the Web.
15:18:21 [Vincent]
ack DanC-mtg
15:18:44 [noah]
DC: Henry asks "who are our customers"?
15:19:09 [noah]
DC: history is, we were started to answer questions about whether W3C workgroups were or were not using Web Architecture well.
15:19:40 [noah]
DC: what we wrote is what everyone in every WG ought to know.
15:20:00 [noah]
DC: I'm not convinced we can impact the web master community.
15:20:05 [timbl]
ack tim
15:20:05 [Zakim]
timbl, you wanted to agree that Web Services are fundamentally different architecture - a remote operations architecture, not an information space architecture. These are distinct
15:20:08 [Zakim]
... patterns, and both have their uses. One can build one on top of the other, either way up, but one doesn't have to pretend that they are the same or should be the same.
15:20:08 [Vincent]
ack tim
15:20:33 [noah]
TBL: agree with David, Web Architecture is different architecture from REST.
15:21:08 [noah]
TBL: our scope is what happens in W3C. Originally was information space, but now there's more overlap, e.g. between web and email than there was before.
15:21:42 [Vincent]
ack noah
15:21:42 [Zakim]
noah, you wanted to say that we may need to be a bit more careful about the layering of our use of the term Web. Is the Web really only REST, or is REST just the most widely
15:21:44 [timbl]
15:21:46 [Zakim]
... deployed part.
15:21:53 [noah]
TBL: I therefore think it's reasonable to to WS arch if we want to because w3c does that
15:21:56 [noah]
scribe: ht
15:22:26 [ht]
NM: Return to the note I wrote:
15:22:29 [Norm]
15:23:08 [ht]
NM: Remember the slogan "Lead the Web to its full potential"
15:23:35 [ht]
WebArch1 covered much of the foundations of that, the Web as it was say 5 years ago when most of the foundations were new and cool
15:24:02 [ht]
... Going forward we should be looking at what will be pervasive 5 years from now
15:24:35 [ht]
... Even wrt the information space, the growth points are not all in our current portfolio, e.g. peer-to-peer, streaming hypermedia
15:25:03 [ht]
... More care needed wrt layering our story about the Web:
15:25:10 [ht]
... 1) Names of things
15:25:32 [ht]
... 2) Schemes that are deployed that you can use with names (all of them)
15:25:42 [ht]
3) RESTful schemes
15:25:52 [ht]
4) Widely deployed media types
15:26:11 [ht]
... So saying "the Web is REST" is to take a big jump in that layering
15:26:40 [ht]
... We can use the word 'Web' for a particular level of that layering, but that has consequences
15:27:24 [ht]
... Because it moves widely used and arguably important uses of the technology 'outside the Web', which may not be the right thing to do
15:28:06 [ht]
... So is RESTful really == 'the information space', or can we bring more of e.g. Web Services into the information space
15:28:29 [ht]
... What if POST was not POST [scribe hopes NM will fill this in, didn't get it]
15:29:24 [ht]
... Opportunities may be there to stretch the information space, beyond the home-base (REST) we start from, to a much wider range of things that have names out there
15:29:38 [dorchard]
q+ to mention Web service "info space type" things not on the web
15:29:58 [ht]
... We may decide that REST really is the core, and we should set the bar really high
15:30:10 [Vincent]
ack ht
15:30:10 [Zakim]
ht, you wanted to ask where "The W W W" starts and ends
15:30:21 [ht]
... Or we could say that there's a way of moving beyond GET, PUT etc. which expands what we can do
15:30:26 [noah]
scribe: noah
15:30:58 [noah]
XXX Scribe note to self...need to reword HT's capture of what Noah said.
15:32:34 [noah]
HT: people are confused about distinction between Internet and Web,who invented which, etc.
15:33:15 [noah]
HT: the stuff we call the Web is what is layered on one of the protocols in particular, I.e. HTTP
15:33:19 [DanC_mtg]
(hmm... this lecture Henry is talking about is interesting... IEEE, IETF, W3C / ethernet, Internet, Web ... I'm very interested in how people learn about these technologies)
15:34:58 [noah]
HT: in private discussion, Noah tried to convince me that Web was bigger and embraced everything that could be linked through URIs
15:35:20 [noah]
HT: reading the Arch document, doesn't tell you where not to go.
15:36:20 [noah]
HT: how should I know when I'm not on the Web and whether I think the Web Arch doc should apply?
15:37:05 [noah]
TBL: we found the question am I on the Web not helpful. We did find: "is this document helpful?" to be a more useful question.
15:39:43 [dorchard]
15:42:04 [noah]
TBL: I thought Noah was splitting hairs, but then I understood is peer to peer example.
15:44:51 [dorchard]
15:45:49 [noah]
NM: I'm actually trying to draw parallel between things like P2P and Sem web. Both of them get great value from being integrated into what we know as traditional web. Each stretches the web in new directions. Sem web because it names things not connected to computers, P2P because it deals in new types of content and security.
15:45:59 [noah]
TBL: Anyone claiming web is HTTP-only?
15:46:09 [noah]
Noah: I thought maybe Henry.
15:46:23 [noah]
HT: Statefulness is important. Security is important.
15:46:44 [noah]
HT: in particular, having your identity established makes a big difference.
15:46:49 [timbl]
15:47:02 [Roy]
The Web has never been HTTP-only (started with FTP and Gopher, added HTTP and WAIS, ...)
15:47:06 [noah]
HT: for example, I get something different from W3C retrievals than you do, because I'm served by the European server.
15:47:25 [noah]
DC: why is that a problem, it's the same resource?
15:47:42 [noah]
HT: but it breaks more often than others.
15:48:14 [noah]
NM: I think Henry's point is that many things in practice depend on the system knowing who you are and where you are
15:48:40 [noah]
HT: Google, in particular, tailors results based on partition of IP space. Cookies are another example.
15:49:03 [noah]
HT: Most commercial sites give you a very different experience according to your cookies, and thus in a sense identities.
15:49:56 [noah]
HT: I tried to convince Google that Web would sort of survive if something like Google disappeared. They felt it was "constitutive" of what the web is.
15:51:46 [dorchard]
+1 to HT's point that Google is part of the architecture from the user experience
15:51:56 [noah]
HT: note that which URI you get redirected to from depends on (your IP address? something not covered in Web Arch)
15:52:19 [DanC_mtg]
(hmm... I could replay the whole "commonname" discussion in the TAG context, I guess, re one of HT's points about search engines)
15:52:42 [noah]
HT: partially connected and disconnected are also important. What about push (see RIM Blackberry)
15:52:56 [DanC_mtg]
(what does RIM do different? gee... I don't even know)
15:52:58 [noah]
ER: are you also going toward mobile web?
15:53:02 [noah]
HT: yes, that too.
15:53:33 [noah]
15:54:30 [DanC_mtg]
ack danc
15:54:30 [Zakim]
DanC_mtg, you wanted to offer to project and edit an outline and to realize that the long tirade I occasionally give on how broken authentication in the web is might be relevant
15:54:33 [Zakim]
... here. There are only a few parties who can get authenticated services deployed. enticing people to use cleartext passwords should be criminal
15:54:59 [noah]
DC: I had offered to edit outline, looks like won't happen before lunch.
15:55:44 [noah]
DC: I have a document from long ago about web forms and having authentication and a logout button using MD5. They said the would do it in next version. Hasn't happened.
15:56:12 [noah]
DC: there are limits on who can deploy authenticated services because of limits on number of passords users will maintain.
15:56:57 [noah]
DC: as alternative, small sites are using clear text passwords, sometimes without HTTP due to inability to afford compute power for doing HTTPS.
15:57:13 [ht]
15:57:18 [noah]
DC: I think digest authtentication is much better than clear text pwds.
15:57:34 [noah]
DC: Nobody can deploy new security technology.
15:57:41 [noah]
TBL: Do browsers do it?
15:57:52 [noah]
q+ to say we are oversimplifying security story
15:58:19 [timbl]
15:59:29 [Vincent]
ack dorchard
15:59:29 [Zakim]
dorchard, you wanted to mention Web service "info space type" things not on the web
16:00:34 [noah]
DO: we've drifted away from Web Services. Liked what Noah said about relationship to parallel architectures like P2P, Gnutella, BitTorrent. Some very significant architectures are being deployed that don't use Web technology. Maybe XRI as well,
16:00:39 [noah]
16:00:45 [DanC_mtg]
-> User Agent Authentication Forms Submission. Lawrence and Leach 1999
16:01:06 [DanC_mtg]
-> User Agent Authentication Forms Feb 1999
16:02:01 [noah]
DO: On Web Services side, consider WS Resource Framework. Describes generic operations, you can get, put, etc. content of these resources. They use WS-Notificiation to allow publish/subscribe for state changes.
16:02:56 [noah]
DO: these are note computational, they are information resources. But even in these constrained cases, they still don't use HTTP protocol fully. Don't use HTTP GET. Still do SOAP messages over HTTP post. Want to be able to use WSA End Point References.
16:03:49 [noah]
DO: I did a proposal at their first meeting to show how to offer these on the web. Why not use a binding that binds down to HTTP Get? They said: good ideas, but we're (Oasis-based team) aren't the ones to do it.
16:04:18 [ht]
HST is intrigued by the apparent difference between tunneling and transport. . .
16:04:21 [noah]
DO: XMLP could do it, but they are going quiet.
16:04:50 [ht]
16:05:09 [DanC_mtg]
describing HTTP in WSDL is kind of a cool idea, but nobody seems to be interested to do much with it.
16:05:45 [Vincent]
ack noah
16:05:45 [Zakim]
noah, you wanted to say we are oversimplifying security story
16:05:59 [dorchard]
when is the break?
16:07:57 [DanC_mtg]
(quite, Noah, SSL is shared-key authentication, and public-key is the way to go for signature-workflow stuff)
16:08:37 [Vincent]
16:11:05 [Vincent]
ack DanC_mtg
16:11:05 [Zakim]
DanC_mtg, you wanted to ask when lunch is
16:11:12 [ht]
HST agrees that state and side-effect are worthy of further discussion, for sure
16:11:46 [Vincent]
Lunch break
16:12:02 [Vincent]
We reconvene at 1:00 pm Eastern time
16:13:19 [noah]
NM: Tried (and largely failed) to convince Tim and others that one difference about Web Services is that more interactions are secured, and that more have state-changing effects at the resource owner. Therefore, Noah claims, the particular value that comes from GET in the web architecture is somewhat less significant. Whatever the other pros and cons of Web Services arch, it seems better targeted to these application-to-application secure scenarios.
16:13:25 [noah]
VQ: Breaking for lunch.
17:06:17 [DanC_mtg]
Topic: TAG Directions (continued)
17:06:33 [DanC_mtg]
VQ: let's go around and get some input from each on priorities...
17:06:56 [DanC_mtg]
ER: webarch doc is incomplete without semantic web and web services. let's spend some time on that. And let's solve httpRange-14 this week
17:08:06 [DanC_mtg]
DC: the "languages and namespaces" bullet from HT's msg seems important to me; namespaceDocument-8 and such. none of the higher level goals seems all that attractive
17:08:18 [DanC_mtg]
TimBL: ... semantic web and web services ... [missed?]
17:08:56 [DanC_mtg]
NDW: looking at the issues list, I saw 5ish that are related to URIs. Nailing that cluster seems worthwhile
17:09:48 [DanC_mtg]
RF: no particular issues to "grind"... would like to see more "how the semantic web affects Web architecture". Would like to see more about what Web services efforts aim to achieve. [?]
17:10:08 [DanC_mtg]
... would not want to tell them what to do, though.
17:10:56 [DanC_mtg]
NM: (1) to see that the information space continues to grow and thrive
17:11:04 [dorchard]
17:11:06 [DanC_mtg]
Zakim, this is tag
17:11:06 [Zakim]
ok, DanC_mtg; that matches TAG_f2f()8:30AM
17:11:14 [DanC_mtg]
17:11:30 [DanC_mtg]
Zakim, who is on the phone?
17:11:30 [Zakim]
On the phone I see MIT601, DOrchard
17:11:49 [ht]
dave, can you hear us?
17:11:49 [DanC_mtg]
... [missed 2 and 3?]
17:12:02 [DanC_mtg]
... want to be sure there's an architecture that all the parts share
17:13:14 [DanC_mtg]
(timbl seems to be composing a table on the whiteboard)
17:13:30 [DanC_mtg]
HT: the issues of state, side-effect, and context seem important.
17:13:43 [DanC_mtg]
... and that connects to user identity/authentication
17:14:16 [DanC_mtg]
HT: httpRange-14 ... I still can't see how that's orthogonal to secondary resources.
17:14:41 [DanC_mtg]
HT: languages and namespaces, as DanC mentioned
17:15:02 [DanC_mtg]
HT: I think we owe the XML community a look at "the entity problem"
17:15:54 [DanC_mtg]
HT: should there be a way of doing what entities do? i.e. refer to large complicated things with small simple names?
17:16:27 [DanC_mtg]
DO: I'd like to see the web figure out how to give more things URIs...
17:16:38 [DanC_mtg]
... if that means dealing with stateful services, then very well...
17:16:45 [DanC_mtg]
... if that stretches "REST", then very well
17:17:06 [DanC_mtg]
DO: let's continue to pay attention to architecture properties, e.g. statefulness, [missed?]
17:17:14 [DanC_mtg]
DO: and extensibility and versioning
17:17:42 [DanC_mtg]
VQ: not sure we need to define the architecture of web services...
17:18:19 [DanC_mtg]
... more interested in extending/specializing the present web archtiecture in a way that's useful for web services and semantic web...
17:18:56 [DanC_mtg]
VQ: it's important to take into account new user interaction mechanisms [?]... peer-to-peer, streaming... integrate those with web architecture
17:20:58 [DanC_mtg]
(I think I have a copy of the list timbl put on the whiteboard in an outliner; can send XHTML version on request)
17:22:28 [DanC_mtg]
(timbl's list has grown some arrows; no longer fits in a hierarchical outline. imagine that ;-)
17:23:52 [DanC_mtg]
(hmm... if WG members are our customers, I wonder about a WBS "what do you want the TAG to do?" survey, seeded by something like this list)
17:24:32 [DanC_mtg]
VQ: so we have a long list now... of course we need to narrow it down...
17:25:52 [DanC_mtg]
... keep in mind that our most visible products are REC-track documents
17:27:43 [DanC_mtg]
As VQ erases vacation calendar from the whiteboard, VQ requests that TAG members send email copies to him
17:28:00 [noah]
A rather messy export of my slides on Web layering seems to be at:
17:28:06 [noah]
Will look for cleaner formats.
17:29:44 [Norm]
Norm has joined #tagmem
17:33:23 [timbl]
17:36:14 [DanC_mtg]
HT: re URI-space.png , I'm surprised to see the whole semantic web inside [which?]
17:38:16 [DanC_mtg]
(HT and TBL discuss httpRange-14 a bit in the context of URI-space.png )
17:39:22 [DanC_mtg]
NM: ... that's one of the reasons we should[?] talk about resources that have URIs but no GET/PUT/POST ...
17:40:58 [DanC_mtg]
DC: I'd like to remove "XML entities"
17:41:00 [DanC_mtg]
HT: then who?
17:41:03 [DanC_mtg]
17:41:04 [DanC_mtg]
DC: +1
17:42:24 [DanC_mtg]
DC: how does this go beyond XML spec into web architecture?
17:42:31 [DanC_mtg]
HT: let me think about that a bit
17:43:49 [Norm]
Dan's list has "~5 issues NDW found", for the record, I was thinking of IRIEverywhere-27, metadataInURI-31, abstractComponentRefs-37, rdfURIMeaning-39, URIGoodPractice-40, DerivedResources-43, endPointRefs-47, and URNsAndRegistries-50
17:44:34 [DanC_mtg]
NM: Ajax changes what a web page is, especially if you do it wrong; google seems to be pretty careful...
17:44:53 [DanC_mtg]
... this "mint me a URI for the current state" design seems good...
17:45:13 [DanC_mtg]
TimBL: note IE allowed javascript to change the address bar; security issue
17:46:10 [DanC_mtg]
NM: something goes bad when content goes into executable "run the program and see what it produces" formats rather than declarative
17:46:25 [DanC_mtg]
DC: quite; the Principle of Least Power is important and underdocumented
17:49:17 [DanC_mtg]
VQ: note new work starting in Web Applications... how do we relate?
17:49:35 [DanC_mtg]
TBL: where there's a WG on something, let's let them do it...
17:49:44 [DanC_mtg]
... but let's be sure they know about the Principle of Least Power
17:51:02 [DanC_mtg]
NM: (1) within W3C, yes, the TAG can help the Web Apps work stay declarative etc, but (2) there's stuff going on outside W3C
17:51:48 [ht] for Principle of Least Power
17:56:56 [DanC_mtg]
HT: how about putting web services and semantic web under URIs? i.e. perhaps TAG's job is to say how URIs relate to those two
17:57:55 [DanC_mtg]
(DC tries it in the outliner)
17:58:44 [DanC_mtg]
DO: [missed the gist of it]
17:59:33 [DanC_mtg]
NM: misunderstandings between this group and web services practitioners are perhaps not clarified by sticking web services under URIs...
18:01:16 [DanC_mtg]
... one argument I've heard against using URIs is that network effects don't apply; nobody else needs to refer to this thing, for similar reasons that we don't routinely use URIs for "that 3rd http header field"
18:01:35 [dorchard]
DO: much of Web and Web service development is around stateful resources that have a secondary resource identifier, which can be identified by just URIs+ frag-ids, but are also often identified by cookies or WS-A EPRs.
18:02:48 [DanC_mtg]
DO: one of the arguments I've heard for WS-Addressing endpoint references is that it works like cookies: "echo this back to me so that I can dispatch on it"
18:03:33 [timbl]
18:03:40 [DanC_mtg]
... and dispatching based on qnames in XML trees is easier than dispatching on URIs . [?]
18:04:15 [timbl]
DO: I wonder whether we need that URI query langauge for getting stuff out of a URI.
18:05:17 [DanC_mtg]
(in what way is it OK that they're not counting on reuse, timbl?)
18:07:14 [DanC_mtg]
DC: the cases where you don't design for reuse is generally not the Web, though, is it?
18:07:32 [DanC_mtg]
TimBL: right; this isn't the web. This is Web Services, an alternative architecture.
18:10:38 [DanC_mtg]
(scribe hears lots of endpointRefs-NN discussion, but doesn't have the energy to capture much of it until/unless it's more clearly in order)
18:14:07 [DanC_mtg]
DC: put Security 1st? we'd become very popular and unpopular... and it's at least as much QA as architecture; in many cases, the specs are there but not (well) implemented
18:14:21 [DanC_mtg]
NDW: let's not. that'll take all the energy we've got and then some
18:14:27 [DanC_mtg]
ER: [forgot/missed?]
18:14:55 [DanC_mtg]
HT: it should be in [that diagram?] but it's not. why not? [?]
18:15:11 [DanC_mtg]
TBL: ... passwords in the clear ...
18:15:53 [DanC_mtg]
HT: Rigo was quite clear that browsers don't do XML signature; if they did, the world would be a better place
18:16:17 [ht]
q+ to ask if we're confident that security will layer cleanly everywhere
18:16:45 [DanC_mtg]
TBL: with webarch v1, we didn't say "here's the web architecture; it's complete." we just elaborated on some places where mistakes had been made often, and where issues had come up a lot. and it was worth doing.
18:17:48 [Vincent]
ack DanC_mtg
18:17:48 [Zakim]
DanC_mtg, you wanted to note the value of diagrams
18:18:56 [noah]
zakim, who is here/
18:18:56 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'who is here/', noah
18:18:57 [ht]
ack ht
18:18:58 [Zakim]
ht, you wanted to ask if we're confident that security will layer cleanly everywhere
18:18:59 [noah]
zakim, who is here?
18:19:01 [Zakim]
On the phone I see MIT601, DOrchard
18:19:02 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Norm, dorchard, timbl, Roy, ht, Vincent, noah, Ed, Zakim, RRSAgent, DanC_mtg, DanC
18:19:20 [DanC_mtg]
Zakim, MIT601 holds VQ, HT, NM, RF, NDW, TBL, DC, ER
18:19:20 [Zakim]
+VQ, HT, NM, RF, NDW, TBL, DC, ER; got it
18:20:07 [DanC_mtg]
HT: "if the web worked well, layering security on top would be straightforward; here are the top 6 [say] reason why it isn't."
18:20:16 [DanC_mtg]
18:20:58 [DanC_mtg]
ER: I know lots of people that use the web *less* today because of the security issues that have come up
18:21:35 [DanC_mtg]
TBL: we haven't talked much about the impact on security of the difference between safe documents and unsafe docs, i.e. programs
18:22:44 [DanC_mtg]
HT: ... on how XSLT is turing-complete/unsafe...
18:22:46 [noah]
rrsagent, where am I?
18:22:46 [RRSAgent]
18:23:05 [Norm]
I think Henry's point was the ability of XSLT to write to local disk, not it's turing completness
18:23:26 [DanC_mtg]
18:24:01 [ht]
HST persists in believing there's a signficant difference between Denial of Service (which follows from Turing completeness) and other forms of attack with concrete/permanent consequences (e.g. writing to local disk)
18:24:19 [DanC_mtg]
TBL: dynamic HTML should have been a separate MIME type. The MIME type registration for HTML should have said "don't execute anything that looks likes a program in here"
18:27:02 [DanC_mtg]
ack danc
18:27:02 [Zakim]
DanC_mtg, you wanted to ask how whether anybody thinks they can get timbl to *not* talk about security all the time in TAG meetings 1/2 ;-)
18:29:05 [DanC_mtg]
On the assumption that httpRange-14 is done before we begin new TAG directions, httpRange-14 is removed from this list.
18:29:20 [DanC_mtg]
(I'm willing to act hopeful)
18:30:17 [Roy]
Do we need to talk about XCAP?
18:32:32 [ht]
HST has recently started browsing apache logs, and was surprised at just how many of the entries are of the form "GET /scripts/..%c0%2f../winnt/sy
18:32:32 [ht]
stem32/cmd.exe?/c+dir HTTP/1.0"
18:33:22 [Roy]
rootkits for windows (looking for known IIS holes)
18:34:12 [DanC_mtg]
TBL: on versioning/extensibility, I want to make sure we get Semantic Web [part of it?] done 1st
18:36:22 [timbl]
NM: Lots of people are up to thir necks in XML, and now need to solve the versionaing problems very desparately
18:37:11 [timbl]
Tim: RDF has solved a set of those problems -- not all. But understanding them is important befroe we try to talk about veriosning in general.
18:38:28 [DanC_mtg]
HT: based on your suggestion, Dan, I looked up the OWL versioning support; it's very limited.
18:39:01 [DanC_mtg]
DanC: no, I mean just RDF itself solves a lot of versioning problems
18:39:13 [dorchard]
18:40:11 [ht]
Roy: That looks like yet another entry in the list which includes RFC3622 and geoprivacy and . . . -- see wrt URNsAndRegistries-50
18:55:56 [Roy]
19:02:08 [DanC_mtg]
DanC: there are these .torrent files, no bittorrent clients don't use a new URI scheme. it's a huge QA issues that it's impractical to deploy new URI schemes.
19:02:38 [DanC_mtg]
NM: right... so is it a feature that deploying new URI schemes is hard? after all, we said you should think twice before making new ones
19:03:14 [DanC_mtg]
cf schemeProtocols-49
19:03:43 [DanC_mtg]
HT: ah... this RTSP thing draft-ietf-mmusic-rfc2326bis-06.txt is interesting
19:03:59 [DanC_mtg]
RF: though it's sort of a variant of HTTP
19:07:52 [Roy]
19:08:43 [Norm]
The URI for F&O namespace document:
19:09:11 [DanC_mtg]
the www-tag discussion started with
19:09:14 [Zakim]
19:31:30 [ht]
zakim, bye
19:31:30 [Zakim]
leaving. As of this point the attendees were DOrchard, +1.617.253.aaaa, VQ, HT, NM, RF, NDW, TBL, DC, ER
19:31:30 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #tagmem
19:40:19 [DanC_mtg]
Topic: namespaceDocument-8 esp XPath F&O namespace doc
19:40:27 [DanC_mtg]
19:41:56 [DanC_mtg]
19:45:02 [DanC_mtg]
DC: if we do an HTTP GET, we get text/html , and if we look in that spec, we'll discover that this is an anchor
19:45:23 [DanC_mtg]
DC: but if we look in the XQuery spec, it says that's a function.
19:45:27 [DanC_mtg]
NDW: yes.
19:45:29 [DanC_mtg]
DC: both?
19:45:34 [DanC_mtg]
NDW: yes.
19:45:45 [Ed]
Tim: 1: THis is an achor 2: This is a Function 3: It's a function but the system gave you an anchor cos you are a person 4: Oops
19:46:46 [timbl]
19:47:08 [ht]
HST thinks pushing on the question of RDDL semantics is a useful way to go
19:47:53 [DanC_mtg]
NM: maybe this document should use a different media type... say for RDDL... so that the anchors work out. If we just use a different media type, which doesn't have much subtyping, we lose the fact that it's HTML, and some browsers don't know they can render it, etc.
19:49:34 [Ed]
1: this is an HTML page 2: This is a book 3: This is a book but the system gave you an HTML page because you are a browser 4 oops....
19:51:46 [timbl]
19:53:08 [DanC_mtg]
19:53:08 [DanC_mtg]
<rddl:resource id="xmlschema"
19:53:20 [timbl]
19:53:23 [timbl]
<rddl:resource id="xmlschema" xlink:title="XML Schema schema document" xlink:role="" xlink:arcrole="" xlink:href="XMLSchema.xsd">
19:53:27 [timbl]
<div class="resource">
19:53:30 [timbl]
<h2>XML Schema</h2>
19:53:32 [timbl]
<p>An <a href="XMLSchema.xsd">XML Schema schema document</a> for XML Schema
19:53:35 [timbl]
schema documents. This corresponds to <a href="">the version published in the Proposed Edited
19:53:38 [timbl]
Recommendation</a> revision of XML Schema.</p>
19:53:41 [timbl]
19:53:43 [timbl]
19:53:46 [timbl]
19:55:28 [DanC_mtg]
(hmmm... shouldn't a properly configured validator client ask for and get the variant in .xsd format to begin with?)
19:55:44 [DanC_mtg]
HT asks about
19:59:35 [DanC_mtg]
or maybe ; I'm not sure
20:04:47 [Ed]
TimB: 5. This is an element (which is a repr of a function)
20:05:41 [Ed]
Henry: 2[whose representation is [this element you just retrieved]]
20:06:24 [Ed]
Norm: The # refers to a function
20:07:11 [noah]
Quoting from RFC 3986:
20:07:12 [Ed]
Henry: The machine gets to an acher which is an element of the rddl name space.
20:07:19 [noah]
The fragment identifier component of a URI allows indirect
20:07:19 [noah]
identification of a secondary resource by reference to a primary
20:07:19 [noah]
resource and additional identifying information. The identified
20:07:19 [noah]
secondary resource may be some portion or subset of the primary
20:07:19 [noah]
resource, some view on representations of the primary resource, or
20:07:20 [noah]
some other resource defined or described by those representations. A
20:07:22 [noah]
fragment identifier component is indicated by the presence of a
20:07:24 [noah]
number sign ("#") character and terminated by the end of the URI.
20:07:26 [noah]
fragment = *( pchar / "/" / "?" )
20:07:28 [noah]
The semantics of a fragment identifier are defined by the set of
20:07:30 [noah]
representations that might result from a retrieval action on the
20:07:32 [noah]
primary resource. The fragment's format and resolution is therefore
20:07:34 [noah]
dependent on the media type [RFC2046] of a potentially retrieved
20:07:36 [noah]
representation, even though such a retrieval is only performed if the
20:07:39 [noah]
URI is dereferenced. If no such representation exists, then the
20:07:40 [noah]
semantics of the fragment are considered unknown and are effectively
20:07:42 [noah]
unconstrained. Fragment identifier semantics are independent of the
20:07:44 [noah]
URI scheme and thus cannot be redefined by scheme specifications.
20:07:59 [Ed]
Ed thinks Noah is onto something..
20:09:44 [Ed]
ht: because of the element, delegated by the html spec
20:10:53 [dorchard]
je suis retourner
20:12:44 [ht]
We'll call asap
20:12:52 [Zakim]
Zakim has joined #tagmem
20:14:11 [ht]
zakim, who is on the call
20:14:11 [Zakim]
I don't understand 'who is on the call', ht
20:14:14 [ht]
zakim, who is on the call?
20:14:14 [Zakim]
sorry, ht, I don't know what conference this is
20:14:15 [Zakim]
On IRC I see Norm, dorchard, timbl, Roy, ht, Vincent, noah, Ed, RRSAgent, DanC_mtg, DanC
20:14:22 [ht]
zakim, this is tag
20:14:22 [Zakim]
ok, ht; that matches TAG_f2f()8:30AM
20:14:25 [ht]
zakim, who is on the call?
20:14:25 [Zakim]
On the phone I see MIT601, DOrchard
20:14:27 [Zakim]
MIT601 has VQ, HT, NM, RF, NDW, TBL, DC, ER
20:16:05 [ht]
HST wonders what the text/html media type registration actually _says_
20:16:28 [noah]
For documents labeled as 'text/html', [RFC2854] specified that the
20:16:28 [noah]
fragment identifier designates the correspondingly named element,
20:16:28 [noah]
these were identified by either a unique id attribute or a name
20:16:28 [noah]
attribute for some elements. For documents described with the
20:16:28 [noah]
application/xhtml+xml media type, fragment identifiers share the same
20:16:29 [noah]
syntax and semantics with other XML documents, see [XMLMIME], section
20:16:31 [noah]
20:16:39 [DanC_mtg]
(I can't find this bit about frag interpretation in the XHTML spec)
20:17:02 [timbl]
q+ to try Roy's model as a stack
20:17:11 [noah]
20:18:43 [noah]
The above is, I think, the media type registration for application/xhtml+xml. It is by the way explaining what rfc2854 has said about text/html. I'm claiming the latter says there is a precedent for anchors sometimes referring to elements.
20:19:23 [Ed]
20:19:28 [Ed]
concept -> function
20:19:37 [DanC_mtg]
following one's nose from the IANA registry, for text/html, you get to
20:19:45 [Ed]
Anchor [] -> [] Hypertext
20:20:22 [noah]
Yes Dan, and that says "For documents labeled as text/html, the fragment identifier
20:20:22 [noah]
designates the correspondingly named element;"
20:20:24 [Ed]
element dan ('< ... id="htm">') info set
20:20:49 [Ed]
bits = 0011001000011011001 binary stream
20:21:18 [DanC_mtg]
section 3 Fragment Identifiers of RFC2854 says "For documents labeled as text/html, the fragment identifier designates the correspondingly named element"
20:22:03 [DanC_mtg]
ack timb
20:22:03 [Zakim]
timbl, you wanted to try Roy's model as a stack
20:26:37 [timbl]
20:26:51 [dorchard]
20:27:52 [dorchard]
level->Concept->Anchor->element->Bits ?
20:28:20 [ht]
20:29:09 [ht]
s/element dan/element dom/
20:36:19 [Norm]
XInclude is defined as an infoset transformation; it's at level 3
20:42:47 [DanC_mtg]
I think ...xsd#type(foo) is not to short but too long; it should be ...xsd#foo
20:50:35 [DanC_mtg]
ack danc
20:50:35 [Zakim]
DanC_mtg, you wanted to ask about crossing levels... suppose I want to make RDF statements about the hypertext document, e.g. revision control stuff ala cvs blame
20:51:05 [DanC_mtg]
hmm... isn't a type one of the components in a schema? ah... I guess not. hmm.
20:54:14 [ht]
We have type definition schema components
20:54:21 [ht]
anything else is sloppy talk
20:54:30 [DanC_mtg]
Hmm... when I brought this namespace doc up, I pretty much expected to go down all these holes... for a little bit, I thought we actually got somewhere. Now I'm not so sure we haven't just re-played this conversation for the N-hundredth time. I'm surely no more sure about what to *do* in the case of the XQuery F&O namespace doc.
20:54:59 [ht]
DanC, give me a simple n3 version of a statement about Tim's car, e.g. that it is Tim's car, please
20:55:08 [Norm]
I have at least one technical question about the F&O namespace doc too that's not at all philosophical
20:55:16 [DanC_mtg]
{ :tcar :owner :tim }.
20:55:19 [DanC_mtg]
or just { tcar owner tim}
20:55:36 [ht]
with URIs? possible?
20:55:42 [ht]
all three of those are URIs?
20:56:05 [DanC_mtg]
yes, they're all URI references, which stand for URIs w.r.t. the relevant base
20:56:22 [ht]
Larry Masinter, c. 1976: "A program is not its listing"
20:58:17 [DanC_mtg]
TimBL and RF just lit up in agreement about something...
20:58:24 [DanC_mtg]
... something about pointing up between levels
21:04:29 [Ed]
are we moving to a new topic?
21:05:05 [Norm]
Hard to tell.
21:06:30 [ht]
"Hard cases make bad law"
21:07:26 [Ed]
I hear versioning is going to join our discussion shortly :)
21:07:37 [ht]
21:07:42 [Norm]
21:14:25 [DanC_mtg]
(hmm... we agreed to stop at 5pm earlier.)
21:14:26 [dorchard]
How about versioning of range-14?
21:16:03 [Norm]
Can we ignore some _known_ 14s instead?
21:17:38 [dorchard]
how about versionable levels of 14?
21:19:14 [DanC_mtg]
somewhat tentatively PROPOSED: to address httpRange-14 by noting a few different levels... a URI can refer to a high-level thing, and "point" to something at a lower level, e.g. an anchor or an element
21:19:50 [timbl]
s/or an element
21:19:50 [DanC_mtg]
... and to say that yes, content negotiation between .html and .rdf works
21:20:05 [timbl]
and mixed namespace stuff works.
21:20:18 [ht]
My stab at saying this is that there are two relations we care about: identification, which relates URIs to things (was 'resources'), and 'pointing', which relates URIs to representations
21:20:36 [timbl]
21:21:31 [DanC_mtg]
RRSAgent, pointer?
21:21:31 [RRSAgent]
21:21:36 [DanC_mtg]
RRSAgent, make logs world-access
21:22:19 [timbl]
A URI can *identify* a thing, and also "point to" an anchor.
21:23:31 [timbl]
"points to" is the answer to "how should I represntat this to a user who has followed a hypertext link"?
21:24:00 [ht]
HST just wants a gloss on 'anchor' -- is it fair to say that if I have (a representation of) an information resource, and its media type, I will know what the set of possible anchors is?
21:24:27 [DanC_mtg]
oops... "refer to" was a mistake; I should have said: a URI can identify a high-level thing...
21:24:52 [DanC_mtg]
NM: let's please do continue to work on examples of these
21:26:19 [DanC_mtg]
(is already referred to? if not, it is now)
21:26:23 [timbl]
A subset of information resources have non-trivial anchors.
21:26:44 [ht]
... beyond the anchor which is the whole resource
21:28:49 [Norm]
If ...#tcar is Tim's car and ...#tcar can be an anchor (which is part of a document) and if all documents trivially have an anchor that is the whole document, then ...ncar (no hash) is Norm's car and ...ncar has a representation.
21:29:00 [Norm]
21:29:12 [Norm]
But not before dinner :-)
21:30:59 [Zakim]
21:35:59 [Zakim]
disconnecting the lone participant, MIT601, in TAG_f2f()8:30AM
21:36:02 [Zakim]
TAG_f2f()8:30AM has ended
21:36:03 [Zakim]
Attendees were DOrchard, +1.617.253.aaaa, VQ, HT, NM, RF, NDW, TBL, DC, ER
21:50:32 [ht]
So is it fair to say that w/o a media type, there is only one anchor per information resource
21:50:42 [ht]
where does that leave RDF. . .
21:50:49 [ht]
Oh bother, said Pooh