How to install the BioDASH demo
Update: Eclipse 3.0.2 archive link modified [June 21, 2006]
Update: New version of BioDash available; Haystack compatibility issue
resolved [January 20, 2006]
Recent visitors to this site may have had difficulties installing the
demonstration. We have isolated and resolved the incompatibility issue that
occurs with recent versions of Haystack. BioDash now comes with a build of
Haystack. Please follow the instructions below from the beginning in order to
get the latest version of the BioDash demonstration.
Downloading Eclipse 3.0.2 (archived)
While any release version of the Eclipse 3.0 platform will work, we recommend
using Eclipse Platform 3.0.2. Even if you already have Eclipse on your
machine, we recommend that you keep this installation separate from any
installations you use for development. Also, Haystack requires the Sun Java 2
Runtime Environment version 1.4.x; it is not compatible with either the IBM
JRE or any 1.5 version of Java.
- Go to http://archive.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.0.2-200503110845/index.php.
- Scroll down to the section titled "Platform Runtime Binary" and follow
the directions to download the distribution appropriate for the platform
you are running.
- Unpack the distribution and launch Eclipse. This is achieved by running
the file named Eclipse inside of the Eclipse directory.
- Eclipse will prompt you for a workspace directory. We recommend you
accept the default and click OK.
Downloading Haystack 1.0.11 and the BioDASH plug-in
- In Eclipse, select Help/Software Updates/Find and Install from the menu
- Select "Search for new features to install" and click Next.
- Click on "New Remote Site". Enter "BioDASH" for the name and
"http://www.w3.org/2005/04/swls/BioDash/updateSite/" for the URL. Click
- BioDASH will appear in the list of sites to search. Click the checkbox
next to it as well as the one next to "Eclipse.org update site" and click
- Click the checkboxes next to at least the following features, and then
- BioDASH demo
- Graphical Editing Framework (version 3.0.1)
- Click Next (you will need to agree to the license) and finally Finish.
Eclipse will prompt you to install the various Haystack features because
they are unsigned (this is normal).
- Eclipse will prompt you to restart.
- After restarting, select Window/Open Perspective/Other from the menu
bar. Then, select Haystack and click OK.
- To view the demo, click on "Semantic Web for Life Sciences GSK3B demo"
on the Starting Points pane (on the right hand side).