Point 1: Build Upon a Common Formal Foundation
- What is semantics anyways?
- Using a Semantic Web standard like RDF or OWL?
- The mysterious philosophical connection between some representation and what it represents?
- Having a precise formal model of what the computation is doing?
- Answer: All of the above!
- Concentrate on formal semantics ala the operation semantics of XQuery or the model theory of OWL
- The obvious answer: π calculus!
- The π calculus is one of a family of calculi that describe processes - a free standing computation on a channel that receives and sends messages with other processes, possibly in parallel.
- All one knows is the input and output of a process. Non-functional properties can be encapsulated as parameters, and real-world effects captured as output.