IRC log of dawg on 2005-03-08

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:29:19 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #dawg
14:29:19 [RRSAgent]
logging to http://www.w3.org/2005/03/08-dawg-irc
14:29:47 [Zakim]
+??P9
14:29:56 [AndyS]
zakim, ??P9 is AndyS
14:29:56 [Zakim]
+AndyS; got it
14:30:04 [ericP]
agenda + Convene, take roll, review records and agenda
14:30:17 [ericP]
agenda + Requirements/Use Cases
14:30:27 [ericP]
agenda + SPARQL protocol spec, Service Descriptions
14:30:34 [ericP]
agenda + Service Descriptions
14:30:41 [ericP]
agenda + SPARQL QL
14:30:50 [ericP]
agenda + issue: punctuationSyntax (turtle, N3, ...)
14:31:00 [ericP]
agenda + test suite maintenance
14:31:10 [ericP]
agenda + SPARQL result set spec
14:33:15 [Zakim]
+ +44.238.055.aaaa
14:33:38 [kendall]
zakim, who's here
14:33:38 [Zakim]
kendall, you need to end that query with '?'
14:33:40 [SteveH]
zakim, aaaa is SteveH
14:33:40 [Zakim]
+SteveH; got it
14:33:41 [kendall]
zakim, who's here?
14:33:41 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Kendall_Clark, Kevin, EricP, AndyS, SteveH
14:33:42 [Zakim]
On IRC I see RRSAgent, KevinW, Zakim, AndyS, kendall, SteveH, DaveB, afs, ericP, DanC
14:34:08 [ericP]
regrets: DaveB, HowardK, Hiroyuki, DanC
14:34:53 [AlbertoR]
AlbertoR has joined #dawg
14:35:02 [kendall]
ciao alberto!
14:35:15 [ericP]
hi alberto, will you be calling in?
14:35:15 [Zakim]
+AlbertoR
14:36:04 [AlbertoR]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2005JanMar/0251.html
14:38:36 [ericP]
zakim, next agendum
14:38:36 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Convene, take roll, review records and agenda" taken up [from ericP]
14:38:40 [JosD]
JosD has joined #dawg
14:38:49 [ericP]
zakim, take up agendum 2
14:38:49 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "Requirements/Use Cases" taken up [from ericP]
14:38:52 [Zakim]
+??P12
14:39:37 [ericP]
zakim, ??P12 is JosD
14:39:37 [Zakim]
+JosD; got it
14:40:19 [kendall]
zakim, next agendum
14:40:19 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Convene, take roll, review records and agenda" taken up [from ericP]
14:40:31 [ericP]
zakim, take up agendum 3
14:40:31 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "SPARQL protocol spec, Service Descriptions" taken up [from ericP]
14:42:14 [ericP]
andy, re "get the whole graph": construct can emulate getGraph
14:42:16 [kendall]
CONSTRUCT * {?s ?p ?o}
14:42:55 [AndyS]
CONSTRUCT {?s ?p ?o} WHERE GRAPH <g> {?s ?p ?o}
14:44:34 [ericP]
... WSDL modularizes the interface. Large graph services may choose not to offer getGraph
14:45:07 [ericP]
ACTION KendallC: to refer to "get the whole graph" explanation from QL spec
14:45:16 [ericP]
DROPPED
14:45:23 [ericP]
action -1
14:46:12 [ericP]
zakim, take up agendum 4
14:46:12 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "Service Descriptions" taken up [from ericP]
14:47:06 [ericP]
ACTION Bijan: to work on "closeOver" work-alike with SteveH
14:47:22 [ericP]
pointer?
14:47:56 [ericP]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2005JanMar/thread.html#255
14:48:07 [ericP]
DROPPED
14:48:13 [ericP]
action -2
14:48:23 [ericP]
zakim, take up agendum 5
14:48:23 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "SPARQL QL" taken up [from ericP]
14:49:00 [ericP]
ACTION JosD: to review value testing section
14:49:29 [ericP]
DONE
14:49:35 [ericP]
action -3
14:49:48 [kendall]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2005JanMar/0269.html
14:52:26 [kendall]
overlap between sparl's use of Fs&Os and Xquery's use of them
14:54:07 [ericP]
AndyS: Eric, JJC, Don Chamberlin, and I met to discuss xs:datatypes
14:54:22 [ericP]
EricP: feedback, we are ging in the right direction
14:54:29 [ericP]
zakim, take up agendum 7
14:54:29 [Zakim]
agendum 7. "test suite maintenance" taken up [from ericP]
14:55:06 [ericP]
[all actions continued -- see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2005JanMar/0251.html ]
14:55:22 [ericP]
zakim, take up agendum 6
14:55:22 [Zakim]
agendum 6. "issue: punctuationSyntax (turtle, N3, ...)" taken up [from ericP]
14:55:31 [kendall]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2005JanMar/thread.html#227
14:56:11 [kendall]
two issues...
14:56:29 [kendall]
whether we switch from existing syntax to turtle+variables
14:56:39 [kendall]
plus, some orthogonal issues about what to call matches/regexps/etc
14:56:48 [kendall]
plus, andy's list question
14:57:29 [kendall]
the case of freestanding lists
14:57:42 [kendall]
zakim, mute me
14:57:42 [Zakim]
Kendall_Clark should now be muted
14:57:44 [AndyS]
WHERE { ( ?x ) }
14:58:03 [kendall]
zakim, unmute me
14:58:03 [Zakim]
Kendall_Clark should no longer be muted
14:59:19 [ericP]
AndyS: this form isn't particularly useful, and it's illegal in turtle.
15:00:17 [ericP]
EricP: given that we are defined by turtle, i think we keep it illegal
15:01:05 [ericP]
JoseD: raised on cwm-bugs. happy to make it illegal
15:01:15 [ericP]
s/JoseD/JosD/
15:01:24 [JosD]
:)
15:01:44 [ericP]
AndyS: we don't say what happens when things go wrong.
15:02:02 [JosD]
true
15:02:05 [ericP]
XML specifies that no further processing happen after an error
15:02:59 [ericP]
SteveH: are FILTERs in the graph pattern part of the proposal?
15:03:06 [ericP]
EricP: no
15:03:36 [AndyS]
zakim, who is on the phone?
15:03:36 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Kendall_Clark, Kevin, EricP, AndyS, SteveH, AlbertoR, JosD
15:06:42 [ericP]
AlbertoR: have talked about in previous f2fs
15:07:01 [ericP]
... SQL-like syntax was welcomed by developers
15:07:20 [ericP]
... people are already impelementing SPARQL
15:07:31 [ericP]
... changing again is not a good message
15:07:40 [ericP]
... on other side: i see benifits
15:08:08 [ericP]
... is turtle/n3 sufficient? can we re-use a parser?
15:08:22 [ericP]
AndyS: you can re-use an N3 parser
15:08:45 [ericP]
KendallC: seems like graph pattern was the least SQL-like part of the old syntax
15:08:46 [AndyS]
Reuse _parts of_ an N3 parser (I did!)
15:09:02 [ericP]
AlbertoR: agreed.
15:09:37 [ericP]
... worried about people thinking about collections and bNodes
15:10:14 [ericP]
SteveH: agree with Alberto. RDQL syntax is consistent
15:10:54 [ericP]
putting the question: adopt the turtle+variables syntax
15:11:26 [ericP]
putting the question: adopt the turtle+variables syntax (cf. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2005JanMar/thread.html#227 )
15:12:24 [ericP]
no objections
15:12:48 [ericP]
2 abstentions: SteveH, AlbertoR
15:13:11 [ericP]
RESOLVED in favor
15:15:08 [ericP]
ACTION: SteveH to update the tests to relect the new syntax
15:15:58 [ericP]
AndyS: I'm working on a re-writer tool. SteveH, do you want to use it?
15:15:58 [kendall]
some talk of a tool to rewrite queries from old to new syntax
15:16:14 [ericP]
SteveH: yes. I won't get around this week.
15:16:38 [Zakim]
-Kendall_Clark
15:16:39 [Zakim]
-JosD
15:16:39 [AndyS]
Adjourned
15:16:40 [Zakim]
-AlbertoR
15:16:42 [Zakim]
-Kevin
15:16:43 [KevinW]
KevinW has left #dawg
15:16:43 [Zakim]
-SteveH
15:16:48 [ericP]
ADJOURNED
15:16:55 [kendall]
oh, ericp, will you do the ordinary thing re: minutes and logs?
15:17:08 [ericP]
kendall, will do
15:17:14 [kendall]
thx
15:18:45 [ericP]
http://www.w3.org/2005/03/08-dawg-irc now public
15:18:49 [AndyS]
rrsagent, stop logging