This document magically turns into a presentation when pressing [F11] in Opera7.
Revolution and/or evolution
Evolution and/or Revolution?
Hĺkon W Lie
CTO Opera Software
March 2, 2005
- backwards-compatible change
- non-backwards-compatible change
- specifications often introduce new paradigms
- working groups close after producing Rec's
- Rec's are not maintained...
- ... while the world evolves
- W3C does not describe how the web works
Why is this?
- maintaining specifications isn't glamorous
- writing test suites takes lots of time
- who cares?
- publish and perish
What should we do?
- realize that current HTML-based designs will live long
- allow maintenance to take place
- allow revolutions to be planned
Viva la Revolución!
Viva la Evolución!