IRC log of wai-wcag on 2004-10-13

Timestamps are in UTC.

13:55:13 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #wai-wcag
13:56:27 [ben]
rrsagent, make logs world-visible
13:56:51 [David_MacDonald]
David_MacDonald has joined #wai-wcag
13:58:24 [Zakim]
WAI_WCAG(techniques)10:00AM has now started
13:58:31 [Zakim]
13:58:54 [ben]
agenda + Mapping Guidelines, Techniques, Tests
13:59:08 [ben]
agenda + Continue checklist discussion
13:59:19 [ben]
agenda + Table markup discussion from IG list
13:59:21 [ben]
14:00:03 [Zakim]
14:00:06 [Zakim]
14:00:12 [Zakim]
14:00:21 [ben]
zakim, ??P10 is Ben
14:00:21 [Zakim]
+Ben; got it
14:00:23 [ChrisR]
ChrisR has joined #wai-wcag
14:00:31 [ben]
zakim, I am Ben
14:00:31 [Zakim]
ok, ben, I now associate you with Ben
14:00:39 [ben]
zakim, who is here?
14:00:39 [Zakim]
On the phone I see ??P6, ??P8, Alex_Li, Ben
14:00:40 [Zakim]
On IRC I see ChrisR, David_MacDonald, RRSAgent, Zakim, ben, sh1mmer
14:00:58 [ben]
zakim, ??P6 is David_MacDonald
14:00:58 [Zakim]
+David_MacDonald; got it
14:01:45 [ben]
zakim, ??P8 is Chris_Ridpath
14:01:45 [Zakim]
+Chris_Ridpath; got it
14:03:04 [Zakim]
14:04:12 [Zakim]
14:04:22 [Becky]
Becky has joined #wai-wcag
14:05:31 [ben]
next agendum
14:08:53 [ben]
mapping techniques to tests -
14:08:56 [ben]
many holes
14:09:21 [ben]
cr - assumption: all SC require techniques and all techniques require test files
14:09:58 [ben]
is it possible to have techniques for all success criterion?
14:10:37 [ben]
tb - no techniques for any technology or a specific technology? There should be ways for an author to demonstrate conformance with each SC
14:11:34 [ben]
we may not need to cover 100% of the sc with HTML technqiues
14:12:21 [ben]
identify some SC that don't require html techniques
14:12:56 [ben]
ex. 2.5 sc 2 (user error)
14:14:11 [ben]
...may be covered in client-side and/or server-side techniques
14:19:13 [ben]
checks/tests are not yet complete and may not be correct
14:20:01 [ben]
dm - are we saying that every success criterion would have a technique in some technology?
14:21:29 [ben]
14:23:13 [ben]
how to fill in the gaps?
14:23:25 [ben]
many techniques that have no mapping to success criterion yet
14:25:55 [ben]
14:28:24 [ben]
dm - how do end to ends relate to existing mapping?
14:29:47 [ben]
end to ends needed for 4.1, 4.2, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3
14:31:05 [ben]
action: Ben send links to early 1.1 and 1.3 mappings to David
14:31:14 [David_MacDonald]
14:32:47 [ben]
action: david to work on end to ends for 4.1 and 4.2
14:34:26 [Zakim]
14:38:14 [ben]
next agendum
14:38:18 [ben]
14:42:03 [Zakim]
14:42:12 [sh1mmer]
Zakim, I am Tom
14:42:12 [Zakim]
ok, sh1mmer, I now associate you with Tom
14:43:51 [sh1mmer]
Sorry I am late, had a prolonged meeting with my tutor
14:47:40 [ben]
mapping issues in checklists - many techniques map to level 1 SC, but may not be something we want to require for level A conformance
14:52:23 [ben]
chicken and egg problem with user agents where support for reccs. in spec does not yet exist
14:56:10 [wendy]
wendy has joined #wai-wcag
14:56:19 [ben]
should be -
14:57:06 [David_MacDonald]
we love you wendy yeahhhh!!!!!!!!
14:57:19 [wendy]
tee hee. thx david
15:02:46 [Zakim]
15:04:57 [sh1mmer]
sh1mmer has joined #wai-wcag
15:05:12 [ben]
HTML 14.4 - lower priority? issue with whether we are supporting text-based browsers
15:10:59 [ben]
12.5 - lower level? issue with these techniques being supported, but can we require somethig at level A that doesn't work today?
15:12:01 [ben]
how to put presser on UA and AT groups to support specs?
15:12:52 [ben]
will authors be put off by us asking them to implement coding practices for conformance that don't work today?
15:16:05 [ben]
what (formal) channels do we have to work with UA and AT vendors on UAAG conformance?
15:16:46 [Zakim]
15:21:09 [ben]
tc- guidelines goal is to define what is accessible - techniques can provide workarounds for UA, but shouldn't do things to discourage AT or UA from moving toward suport for spec
15:23:19 [ben]
bc - checklist could change over time - be adjusted to meet current climate of authoring and UA/AT support
15:27:30 [ben]
what to do when a technique tells an author to do something that is not supported? reduce priority? label as future/optional?
15:34:53 [ben]
need to come up with a strategy for addressing this type of issue
15:35:35 [Zakim]
15:35:36 [Zakim]
15:35:37 [Zakim]
15:35:38 [Zakim]
WAI_WCAG(techniques)10:00AM has ended
15:35:39 [Zakim]
Attendees were Alex_Li, Ben, David_MacDonald, Chris_Ridpath, Tim_Boland, Becky_Gibson, Tom
15:35:53 [ben]
rrsagent, bye
15:35:53 [RRSAgent]
I see 2 open action items:
15:35:53 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Ben send links to early 1.1 and 1.3 mappings to David [1]
15:35:53 [RRSAgent]
recorded in
15:35:53 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: david to work on end to ends for 4.1 and 4.2 [2]
15:35:53 [RRSAgent]
recorded in