IRC log of dawg on 2004-08-31

Timestamps are in UTC.

14:28:33 [RRSAgent]
RRSAgent has joined #dawg
14:28:51 [kendall]
kendall has joined #dawg
14:28:57 [AndyS]
As the doc is now, the syntax works (I hope!)
14:29:06 [AndyS]
That includes nesting
14:29:17 [JanneS]
JanneS has joined #dawg
14:29:26 [DanC]
the syntax works iff the WG says the syntax works. And WG members seem to be saying otherwise.
14:29:27 [AndyS]
If we want to change it all later then fine but not piece meal and original BRQL does not work
14:29:29 [Zakim]
+??P21
14:29:53 [DanC]
why not piece meal?
14:29:57 [Zakim]
+??P22
14:30:11 [Zakim]
+ +61.7.372.0.aaaa
14:30:16 [Zakim]
+Kendall_Clark
14:30:17 [AndyS]
The Q at the moment is constrainst - separate or with graph pattern.
14:30:32 [DanC]
that's one Q. I see others.
14:30:34 [kendall]
AndyS: is there an example of each option somewhere I can look at?
14:30:48 [Zakim]
+DanC
14:30:48 [JanneS]
Zakim, +??P21 is JanneSSS
14:30:48 [Zakim]
sorry, JanneS, I do not recognize a party named '+??P21'
14:30:52 [kendall]
(each option: separate constraints or constraints witih graph patterns)
14:31:03 [JanneS]
Zakim, ??P21 is JanneS
14:31:03 [Zakim]
+JanneS; got it
14:31:14 [AndyS]
The doc has one nested example in the doc. {} style
14:31:30 [AlbertoR]
zakim, agenda?
14:31:30 [Zakim]
I see 6 items remaining on the agenda:
14:31:31 [Zakim]
1. Convene, take roll, review record, agenda http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0372.html [from DanC]
14:31:34 [Zakim]
2. ftf logistics [from DanC]
14:31:35 [Zakim]
3. starting another BRQL spec walkthru http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/ [from DanC]
14:31:37 [Zakim]
4. Use Cases & Requirements publication [from DanC]
14:31:38 [Zakim]
5. ftf agenda [from DanC]
14:31:39 [Zakim]
6. SOURCE, "provenance"/data-management [from DanC]
14:31:48 [DanC]
Zakim, take up agendum 1
14:31:48 [Zakim]
agendum 1. "Convene, take roll, review record, agenda http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0372.html" taken up [from DanC]
14:32:10 [DanC]
roll from http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/#who
14:32:27 [rob]
rob has joined #dawg
14:32:34 [Zakim]
+RobS
14:32:40 [DanC]
Zakim, who's on the phone?
14:32:40 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Kevin, Yoshio, AndyS, [ASemantics], JanneS, ??P22, +61.7.372.0.aaaa, Kendall_Clark, DanC, RobS
14:33:44 [Zakim]
+JosD
14:36:49 [AlbertoR]
DanC polling 3rdf2f attendance http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35463/DAWGf2f3/results
14:37:25 [HiroyukiS]
HiroyukiS is s
14:37:47 [DanC]
no answer re ftf from Enrico, BryanT, Baget, Farrukh Najmi, Pat Hayes
14:37:48 [AlbertoR]
HiroyukiS not attending f2f
14:37:57 [DanC]
no answer re ftf from Enrico, BryanT, Baget, Farrukh Najmi, Pat Hayes, Hendler
14:38:04 [HiroyukiS]
* HiroyukiS is also one of the unidentified people
14:38:50 [AlbertoR]
previous meeting records http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0371.html approved as amended
14:39:31 [Yoshio]
* water?
14:39:32 [AlbertoR]
next telecon 2004-09-07 scriber SimonR
14:40:03 [AlbertoR]
5 actions were continued
14:40:12 [AlbertoR]
as reported into agenda
14:41:07 [DanC]
Zakim, next agendum
14:41:07 [Zakim]
agendum 2. "ftf logistics" taken up [from DanC]
14:41:09 [AlbertoR]
today telecon will last 60 minutes (till 15:30 UTC)
14:41:10 [Yoshio]
*till I drop : )
14:41:35 [DanC]
DanC interested in Wed evening thingy.
14:41:46 [kendall]
+q to ask about UC&R item on agenda
14:41:55 [rob]
there's a heavy breather again
14:41:57 [kendall]
q+ to ask about UC&R item on agenda
14:42:00 [AlbertoR]
AndyS: about 3rd f2f - the possibility to have RDFIG "get together" wednesday night 15 Sept before meeting
14:42:35 [kendall]
+1
14:42:46 [DanC]
ack kendall
14:42:46 [Zakim]
kendall, you wanted to ask about UC&R item on agenda
14:43:38 [AlbertoR]
KendalK proposing to add UC&R item on agenda for f2f
14:43:44 [DanC]
Zakim, next agendum
14:43:44 [Zakim]
agendum 3. "starting another BRQL spec walkthru http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/DataAccess/rq23/" taken up [from DanC]
14:43:53 [DanC]
Zakim, remind us in 20 minutes to move on or something
14:43:53 [Zakim]
ok, DanC
14:44:41 [DanC]
Zakim, who is on the phone?
14:44:41 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Kevin, Yoshio, AndyS, [ASemantics], JanneS, ??P22, +61.7.372.0.aaaa, Kendall_Clark, DanC, RobS, JosD
14:44:55 [KevinW]
KevinW has joined #dawg
14:45:17 [DanC]
Zakim, aaaa is SimonR
14:45:17 [Zakim]
+SimonR; got it
14:45:21 [DanC]
Zakim, ??P22 is HiroyukiS
14:45:21 [Zakim]
+HiroyukiS; got it
14:45:26 [DanC]
Zakim, who is on the phone?
14:45:26 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Kevin, Yoshio, AndyS, [ASemantics], JanneS, HiroyukiS, SimonR, Kendall_Clark, DanC, RobS, JosD
14:45:58 [AlbertoR]
JosDR not on IRC (but telecon)
14:46:13 [DanC]
q+ to ask about 1.4
14:46:29 [DanC]
q+ danc2 to ask about 2.3
14:46:51 [AlbertoR]
poll about BRQL issues "owners"
14:47:03 [DanC]
queue=
14:47:15 [rob]
q+ to talk about remote access protocol
14:47:26 [DanC]
q+ to ask about "Bristol" in BRQL... why abstract different from title?
14:47:34 [DanC]
which part of the doc is that, rob?
14:48:16 [DanC]
q+ to suggest dropping "Document outline"
14:48:28 [DanC]
ack rob
14:48:28 [Zakim]
rob, you wanted to talk about remote access protocol
14:48:38 [SimonR]
q+ possible error in definition of triple pattern
14:48:59 [SimonR]
q+ to possible error in definition of triple pattern
14:49:09 [AlbertoR]
actually - discussion started about BRQL document itself
14:50:43 [AlbertoR]
RobS: asked about rephrasing "A remote protocol document" and not "the"
14:51:01 [DanC]
ack danc
14:51:01 [Zakim]
DanC, you wanted to ask about "Bristol" in BRQL... why abstract different from title? and to suggest dropping "Document outline"
14:51:26 [rob]
q+ to dislike most of section 5
14:51:31 [JanneS]
s/PRFEIX/PREFIX in 2.1
14:52:52 [AlbertoR]
discussion is now switched about the DAWG query language name "BRQL" and about "Bristol"
14:54:09 [DanC]
ack simon
14:54:09 [Zakim]
SimonR, you wanted to possible error in definition of triple pattern
14:54:29 [AlbertoR]
DanC suggests to shorten Document Outline - "this document describes an RDF query language..."
14:56:02 [kendall]
be nice to have an xslt to pull out the "formalism bits"
14:56:11 [AlbertoR]
SimonR: pointed out an error in the definition of triple pattern
14:56:33 [SimonR]
2.2
14:56:58 [SimonR]
Specifically, a ground triple as defined isn't always an RDF triple as claimed.
14:57:02 [AlbertoR]
SimonR: as written in section 2.2 of BRQL document
14:57:09 [DanC]
ack rob
14:57:09 [Zakim]
rob, you wanted to dislike most of section 5
14:57:21 [DanC]
q+ to suggest dropping "document outline"
14:57:58 [AlbertoR]
RobS: asking about Section 5 phrasing
15:01:02 [rob]
1 better...
15:01:17 [DanC]
Zakim, who's on the phone?
15:01:17 [Zakim]
On the phone I see Kevin, Yoshio, AndyS, [ASemantics], JanneS, HiroyukiS, SimonR, Kendall_Clark, DanC, RobS, JosD
15:01:21 [AlbertoR]
AndyS said that Section 5 migth be shorten - and refer/talk about FROM and/or SOURCE clause
15:02:55 [Zakim]
-Yoshio
15:03:08 [rob]
s/uri/uriref/ in many places in the doc
15:03:39 [Zakim]
+Yoshio
15:03:46 [AlbertoR]
Discussion about phrasing of Section 2
15:03:53 [Zakim]
DanC, you asked to be reminded at this time to move on or something
15:04:00 [AlbertoR]
"Making Simple Queries"
15:05:41 [Yoshio]
* I perfer those with examples in general, but maybe they should be presented separately
15:06:35 [AlbertoR]
Yoshio et al. noted that the two sections might be part of two distinct cases
15:06:48 [AndyS]
Rob: ack: uri vs uriref : I gather RFC 2396 update will change URI to include #ref [:-( for us]
15:07:00 [DanC]
ack danc
15:07:00 [Zakim]
DanC, you wanted to suggest dropping "document outline"
15:07:03 [kendall]
i like the merge idea, too
15:08:43 [JanneS]
AndyS, reference [5] link doesn't work
15:09:20 [Yoshio]
Is the ordering critical in function?
15:09:36 [AlbertoR]
discussion about PREFIX position - at the beginning, at the end or both
15:09:54 [Yoshio]
or just as a convention?
15:10:10 [AlbertoR]
likes both - just prefer the old/original RDQL syntax vs. N3/lisp new one
15:10:16 [AndyS]
Parsing issue for one-pass parsing
15:10:39 [SimonR]
I'd prefer there being a syntax-enforced "right" answer rather than convention, if possible.
15:10:39 [Yoshio]
what has become of "USING " in expressing prefixes
15:11:20 [AlbertoR]
KendalK: volunteerd to "own" the PREFIX issue
15:11:34 [Yoshio]
I prefer SELECT..., WHERE..., USING, but it's just my preference
15:11:35 [kendall]
KendallC
15:11:51 [AlbertoR]
s/KendalK/KendalC/
15:11:54 [DanC]
ACTION kendallc: discuss PREFIX options and propose solution in email
15:12:01 [AndyS]
For the record: DanC owes Kendall a beer
15:12:54 [Yoshio]
* Kendall with 2 l's , Alberto :)
15:15:55 [AlbertoR]
discussion continued about kinda freezing the BRQL document before the 3rd f2f for reading
15:16:48 [AlbertoR]
during next telecon a decision will be made about freezing BRQL document before 14/15 Sept
15:18:24 [DanC]
Zakim, next agendum
15:18:24 [Zakim]
agendum 4. "Use Cases & Requirements publication" taken up [from DanC]
15:18:40 [DanC]
UC&R updated http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0396.html
15:19:37 [AlbertoR]
KendallC: U&C was updated
15:20:34 [AlbertoR]
various misc changes as reported into email to WG
15:21:06 [rob]
rob remains against 4.2
15:21:17 [AlbertoR]
4.2 Aggregation Graphs
15:21:37 [AlbertoR]
still pending status
15:23:27 [AlbertoR]
discussion is about 4.2 vs. 4.5 ("Querying multiple Sources")
15:24:54 [AlbertoR]
me emailed about FROM vs. SOURCE usage in BRQL and how both approces might be needed - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0327.html
15:29:09 [AlbertoR]
SimonR and RobS further discussed about 4.5 and if the "aggregated"/multiple sources issue is out of the charter
15:30:37 [AlbertoR]
meetign extended another 10 mins or so
15:32:06 [AlbertoR]
DanC: is the current U&C editor working document good/new enough for publication?
15:33:09 [AlbertoR]
KendallC: proposing to publish - and seconded
15:33:25 [JanneS]
I'm ok for publishing this version - I need to run now for babysitting.
15:33:41 [Zakim]
-JanneS
15:34:36 [DanC]
Zakim, next agendum
15:34:36 [Zakim]
agendum 5. "ftf agenda" taken up [from DanC]
15:35:03 [DanC]
it's due Thursday.
15:35:07 [DanC]
Zakim, next agendum
15:35:07 [Zakim]
agendum 5 was just opened, DanC
15:35:58 [DanC]
ACTION: JimH, to work with Bijan to do some sort of UDDI/Web services use case.
15:35:59 [AlbertoR]
ACTION agendum5: CONTINUED
15:36:05 [DanC]
ACTION: DaveB to repropose source in both results and restrictions.
15:36:41 [DanC]
ADJOURN.
15:36:46 [Zakim]
-RobS
15:36:52 [DanC]
alberto, anything you need to produce a record in email in the next day or so?
15:36:52 [Zakim]
-JosD
15:36:53 [AlbertoR]
ACTION AndyS to (try to) compose a test case on inferred triples - DONE - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-dawg/2004JulSep/0330.html
15:36:56 [DanC]
RRSAgent, make logs world-access
15:37:00 [Zakim]
-Kevin
15:37:08 [Yoshio]
Ciao
15:37:09 [Zakim]
-[ASemantics]
15:37:10 [Zakim]
-Yoshio
15:37:12 [Zakim]
-HiroyukiS
15:37:16 [Zakim]
-Kendall_Clark
15:37:22 [Yoshio]
Yoshio has left #dawg
15:37:24 [AlbertoR]
DanC - I will draft the minutes and send to the list -
15:37:32 [DanC]
great.
15:39:02 [AlbertoR]
AlbertoR has left #dawg
15:40:18 [Zakim]
-DanC
15:42:37 [Zakim]
-SimonR
15:43:13 [SimonR]
(I'm still on IRC for at least a while.)
15:43:49 [Zakim]
-AndyS
15:43:50 [Zakim]
SW_DAWG()10:30AM has ended
15:43:51 [Zakim]
Attendees were Kevin, Yoshio, AndyS, [ASemantics], +61.7.372.0.aaaa, Kendall_Clark, DanC, JanneS, RobS, JosD, SimonR, HiroyukiS
17:07:20 [Zakim]
Zakim has left #dawg