W3C WS Choreography WG conference call


20th January 2004



Role Call



 Martin Chapman


Steve Ross-Talbot




W3C Staff Contacts


Yves Lafon



Anthony Fletcher

Choreology Ltd

Mayilraj Krishnan

Cisco Systems Inc

David Burdett

Commerce One

Ravi Byakod

Intalio Inc.

Abbie Barbir

Nortel Networks

Greg Ritzinger


Nickolas Kavantzas

Oracle Corporation

Jeff Mischkinsky

Oracle Corporation

Ivana Trickovic


Ugo Corda

SeeBeyond Technology Corporation

Daniel Austin

Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Monica Martin

Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Dinesh Shahane

TIBCO Software


Confirm scribe


Ugo Corda will scribe.


The following is a listof recent scribes (in order): Mayilraj Krishnan, Ravi Byakod , Martin Chapman, Steve Ross-Talbot, Monica Martin, Nick Kavantzas,Ed Peters, Anthony Fletcher, Jeff Michkinsky,  Dinesh Shahane, Greg Ritzinger, Ed Peters, David Burdett,Ivana Trickovic, Ugo Corda, Assaf Arkin, MonicaMartin, Carol McDonald, Nick Kavantzas, Tony Fletcher, Mayilraj Krishnan, Francis McCabe, Jeff Mischkinsky, David Burdett,John Dart, MonicaMartin,Tony, Fletcher, Jim Hendler, Kevin Liu, TonyFletcher, Jon Dart, DavidBurdett,Ed Peters, Greg Ritzinger, Monica Martin, LenGreski, Jean-JacquesDubray,Monica Martin, Mayilraj Krishnan, FrancisMcCabe, Michael Champion,AbbieBarbir, David Burdett, Jon Dart, Carol McDonald,Yaron Goland, LeonardGreski,Ed Peters, Greg Ritzinger, Daniel Austin, PeterFurniss, Jim Hendler


Approve minutes

     Minutes 13th January 2004

Minutes approved

Action item review



ACTION: Chairs to communicate f&p requirement to WS-CG (0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS


ACTION: WSDL MEP agenda item to be organised by chairs (0113) DONE


ACTION: Chairs to send formal request to WSPEL Chairs requesting progress statements from them (0113) DONE


ACTION: chairs should also ask marco to see if his requirements are captured within the latest req-doc (0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS


ACTION: record exceptions/errors as an issue. (0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS


ACTION:log as an issue is fork/join covered as requirements (0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS


ACTION:log as an issue if external/internal choice is covered as requirements (0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS

[ ED: based on our discussion of issue 342, is this already covered?]


ACTION: Yves to add editor's draft on the public page (0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS


ACTION: Nick to define the features required of an intermediate end-point language (0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS


ACTION: convert ER diagrams into UML class diagrams (0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS


ACTION:editors to propose documents and table of contents (0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS


ACTION:Monica to confirm hosting east coast and propose a date. (0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS

Monica confirmed the offer, but said that there will be no internet access (no irc) for non-SUN employees.
Greg (Novell) said he would also look at hosting in the Boston area.


ACTION: Chairs to look into a far east meeting in sep/oct (0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS


ACTION: Chairs to organise an issues conference call in which the regular conf call is used with members to look at the issue in bugzilla (possibly the Jan6th conf call) (0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS


ACTION: Chairs to write proposal for group in defense of f&p in WSDL. (0113) DONE


ACTION: SRT to ask Honda, Yoshida, and Milner if they would be prepared to be invited experts. (0113) DONE


ACTION: Editors of the requirements are directed to look at the issues list and filter each issue in a similar way to the filtering method used at the F2F.  To be taken into account at editors meeting in November. ( IN PROGRESS, 1021, 1028,1111, 1118, 1125, 1202, 1209,0106, 0113, 0120)


ACTION: DA to schedule the editors meeting (0113) DONE

ACTION : Chairs  to raise a topic of Binding, Context etc. (0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS

ACTION: With respect to requirements doc-  Abbie to send via email the corrected document as soon as available. (0106) IN PROGRESS

ACTION: Steve/Martin - let us see some email traffic to manage the process to get the requirements doc reviewed quickly and published -if we cannot make it by 13th (which is tight) then we inform the members as such. (0106, 0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS

ACTION: Requirements Editors – Review requirements doc by Jan13th including issues list review against document. (0106, 0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS


ACTION: Task Nick/David to come up with the what to do next by 27th (0106, 0113, 0120) IN PROGRESS





ACTION: Steve to ask WSD WG whether they intend to support publish/subscribe MEP. (0120)


ACTION: Spec editors to look at Attributes discussions in WSD WG archives and see if concepts can also apply to Choreography – Provide recommendation on how to proceed. (0120)


ACTION: future agenda item on choreography, Grid and Web services Management.


Standing tracking items


Requirements Document Feedback


Nothing to do right now


Issue tracking (progress/review – go through issues list)


No news


Specification Editors report


No news


 Liaison Reports


-         Sent note to WSBEL TC (See 3rd ACTION above)

-         To put on future agenda: Choreography’s connection with Grid and Web services Management.


 NEW ACTION: future agenda item on choreography, Grid and Web services Management.

Hot topics

WSDL MEP Discussion

Tony: WSDL 1.1 MEPs are enough. More complex patterns can be derived by combination of the WSDL ones.

Ugo: WSDL 2.0 proposes some new MEPs. We should look at them and see if we can leverage them.

Steve: If WSDL 2.0 supported publish/subscribe it would be helpful to us. (see new action item)

Martin: WSD WG has not taken any specific action in that area yet.


WSDL F&P Letter http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-ws-chor/2004Jan/0011.html

Martin summarizes his note draft to WSD WG.

Steve: What is the difference between Features and Properties

Jeff: Feature is just a pointer to a spec. A Feature has Properties associated.

Ugo: WSD WG already did some work on F&P

Jeff: Not many people in the WSD WG are pushing for F&P to be included

Steve: The issue has already been discussed in Coordination Group. Next step is that we send a note to WSD WG.

Steve: What about WSDL Attributes? WSD is dropping them.

Ugo: WSDL Attributes were requested by Grid. If Choreography has a connection with Grid, we might also need Attributes.

David: Attributes could be useful to express things like Choreography instance Ids

Steve: ACTION for editors about Attributes relevance (see new Actions)

Steve: We should also look at today’s announcement of new specs that combine Web services and Grid.


Model Overview Discussion

Martin: People had some problems with first notation used. Not much feedback so far.

Tony: somewhat confused with execution order as represented in graphical descriptions in spec and the actual run-time order of execution

Steve: We cannot make progress on this item until next week

Monica: collision issue – what happens when one choreography includes a second one?

Nick: will collect all outstanding issues and put under Bugzilla



Meeting adjourned.