See also: IRC log
Present: Abbie, DaveH, Daniel, David, Doug, Eric, Frank, Geoff, Hao, Hugo, Katia, Leo, Martin, Mike_Mahan, Paul, Roger, Sinisa, Shishir, Ugo, Zulah
Regrets: DaveO, Gerald, Mario
Scribe: geoff_a, daveh
<mchampion> The action item link in the agenda is wrong. It should be http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/3/08/ActionItems.htm
<hugo> Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-arch/2003Sep/0007.html
Scribe: Meeting minutes: we have missing minutes for one day of F2F
<mikem> can soneone repost the AI list into irc?
... the url that is
Scribe: The URL in the agenda is http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/3/07/items.htm but this looks out-of-date
<mikem> yes - the AI url from the agenda is stale
Scribe: The actions are in the minutes from the last call: http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/arch/3/08/2003-08-21-ws-arch.htm
<mchampion> ACTION: Hugo will update glossary with the definition of "synchronous" that we think we agreed to on 21 August. Look at IRC log!
Agenda item: re-engage brains around time-lines, plans, deliverables, actions. The deadline is January - charter runs out at the end of January. but re-chartering should be OK - but it's not a given. What do we do about trout ponds? Finesse, change requirements, defer to next iteration? We need to come to resolution. Where are the holes?
Discovery. DBooth used to own it. What needs to be done here, or is there not enough industry practice? Last draft includes more stuff, but more coming.
Katia is interested in automated discovery, proposes working with David. Automated discovery is the most important. We need a short section introducing the topic and identifying the WSA interest [non-normative].
Chair: What extra material does Katia want?
Katia: Consider futures of UDDI. Also interested in semantics. interest from DARPA in standardizing OWL/S. How? inject small amount (as in WSD), incremental. (Based on Katia's work on DAML/S.) Possible follow-ons: add non-normative text, recommend W3C charter a WG.
Hugo: SWS IG - how we balance F2F time devoted to document vs. discussion W3C issued proposal on SWS 8/28/03 - discussion closes in a month. Culmination of discussions from the plenary.
Chair (?): We don't want to rat-hole on the semantic web wars. One informal but important goal of WSA is to simply explain how all this stuff fits together. We can say something non-normative about semantics, but let's stay away from ccontroversial issues.
<mchampion> ACTION: Katia, DavidB, other
interested parties will analyze Discovery treatment in WSA and outline
... ACTION: Chairs will make substnatial time at F2F to discuss Discovery
<hugo> SWS IG proposal: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ac-members/2003JulSep/0025.html
Scribe: I'm about to disappear - it's time. Sorry........
<DaveH> I will scribe...
... zakim scribe
<mchampion> ACTION: Chairs need to schedule time at F2F to sort out the UML diagrams, their normative status, etc.
<DaveH> Discussion topic: how formally will we support UML
... ACTION: Chairs to add discussion of how we will use UML to f2f agenda
... Discussion topic: formalzation of architecture
... ? can we use OWL or daml or similar as part of the formal description
... ACTION: Katia will attempt to provide illustration of use of daml/owl/etc as formalizm
<DaveH> Have we identified all of the base components? Are
all of the gounding assertions identified?
... Known open topics: semantics, discovery, formalization
... Also, what topics are not necessary for success (ala stephen king's advice to writers)
... This topic should conclude as a project plan
... ACTION: complete project plan at f2f including a requirements review
... ACTION: chairs to schedule intermediaries as topic at f2f
<DaveH> when is f2f after then next f2f?
... WS-CG needs to be involved in scheduling - discused at last CG meeting
... November f2f offer for bay area - would be second in a row in the west coast
... Description group discuss january f2f -- still under consideration
... current plan of record: Nov 5 in Sunnyvale
... ACTION: Chairs to reaffirm November f2f venue with CG and Description WG
... No tetative date for Jan.
<Hao> so, are we going to extend this WG to next year?
<DaveH> March w3c plenary is in south france -- we could meet
... ACTION: chairs/staff to consider rechartering and add to f2f schedule
<Daniel> Gentlebeings, I must leave early. I beg your forgiveness. Farewell until next week.
... Other topics...
... Topic - reliable messaging.
<mitrepauld> I am not dialed in, but I was going to respond to the RM thread about the need to identify (ala URI) the "levels" in the WS architecture.
<mchampion> Paul, we're now talking about a "multilevel approach to reliability" so your input would be welcome!
<DaveH> differences in what reliablity attributes we are
commited to clarify
... ACTION: chairs to add RM to future agendas and email
... Topic - text on SOA
... ACTION: chairs to add SOA as future agendas and email discussion
... ACTION: Hao to repost SOA text for email discussion
... of course not. I don't understand you either.
... thanks dave. Zakim, it turns out you don't even know that actions are! ha!
... ACTION: chairs to schedule security discussion at f2f
<dbooth> Remember to register for the September F2F: http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/34650/ws0309/
<DaveH> REGISTRATION for f2f closes this week!!!!!!!!!!!