Web Services Architecture Working Group
26-Sep-2002 meeting minutes

Working Group home page · Meeting records



AT&T Mark Jones
BEA Systems David Orchard
Carnegie Mellon University Katia Sycara
ChevronTexaco Roger Cutler
Computer Associates Igor Sedukhin
Contivo Dave Hollander
DaimlerChrysler Research Mario Jeckle
EDS Mike Ballantyne
EDS Waqar Sadiq
Ericsson Nilo Mitra
France Telecom Shishir Garg
Fujitsu Frank McCabe
Hewlett-Packard Company Zulah Eckert
IBM Chris Ferris
IBM Heather Kreger
Idokorro Mobile Mark Baker
IONA Eric Newcomer
Microsoft Corporation Allen Brown
Nokia Michael Mahan
Oracle Corporation Martin Chapman
Progress Colleen Evans
Rogue Wave Software Allen Brookes
SAP Sinisa Zimek
Software AG Michael Champion
Sun Microsystems, Inc. Doug Bunting
Sybase, Inc. Himagiri Mukkamala
TIBCO Software, Inc. Scott Vorthmann
W3C David Booth
W3C Hugo Haas


AT&T Ayse Dilber
Boeing Company Gerald Edgar
Cisco Systems Inc Sandeep Kumar
Hewlett-Packard Company Yin-Leng Husband
Intel Corporation Joel Munter
MITRE Corporation James Davenport
SeeBeyond Technology Corp Ugo Corda
W. W. Grainger, Inc. Tom Carroll


See agenda posted by the Chair.

Detailed minutes

    David Booth: asked about the format of the MOM.

No objections.  Approved.

<h3>Review Action items:</h3>
I18N action item is missing from the issues list.
Most recent version of the glossary needs to be put on W3C site

Status Reports

Report was presented form the management task force. OASIS management is also very interested in working together.

Reviewing XMLP specs

DO we need to respond to XMLP _ WG on soap attachments. Dave Hollander says it is a requirement. Hugo volunteered to review the proposal. Eric Newcomer will also look at the attachments. ACTION item to Hugo and Eric for reviewing SOAP with attachments.

Requirements document wrapup

The Requirements documents to be made ready for publication. Action item to Mike to distribute the requirement document to the mailing list.

Issue 3 with the requirement document: Hugo described the issue to the group and proposed a simpler wording. No comment. Action item to adopt Hugo_s proposed wording. Hugo will reply on the mailing list.

Architecture discussions

Starting point of discussion: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/ Public/www-ws-arch/2002Sep/att-0173/01-triangle.variations.ppt

Heather: asked to summarize the status on the diagrams and terminology. Heather unavailable. ??? started describing the issues. Eric was asked if the document was updated with those issues.

Mike: suggested starting with a canonical with logical labels. Lots of discussion on it.

Eric: suggested that the triangle should be kept simple and not too much detail should be put in it. Consensus to Delete security and management from the triangle for the moment. The diagram may be revisited.

DaveOrchard: proposed the text of the proposal in IRC. No objections.

Discussion on labels of the triangle.

DavidOrchard: will work on the labeling of the diagram. Heather will resend the picture that needs to be labeled.

How should the top diagram should be related to the detailed or the stack of diagrams.

Heather: described the messaging node. Eric is reasonable comfortable with the diagram. Eric will update the document to reflect the discussion. Chris objected on intermediaries. Heather proposed modification of diagram. Lots of discussion on intermediaries. Eric will champion the messaging diagram.

David Booth: suggested straw poll mechanism to reach consensus and speed up the process.

Group: Applause to Heather for all the great work on the diagrams, discussions, etc.

Summary of new action items

ACTION: Hugo & Eric: Review the SOAP Attachment Feature draft [1]
21:08:25 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2002/09/26-ws-arch-irc#T19-53-05
21:08:25 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: MikeC to send out current Requirements draft [2]
21:08:25 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2002/09/26-ws-arch-irc#T19-54-30
21:08:25 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Hugo to send an email about issue 3 resolution to originator [3]
21:08:25 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2002/09/26-ws-arch-irc#T20-01-05
21:08:25 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: Heather to resend the diagram in an image format [5]
21:08:25 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2002/09/26-ws-arch-irc#T20-44-39
21:08:25 [RRSAgent]
ACTION: DaveO to lead discussion about labeling the top cloud in the triangle diagram. [6]
21:08:25 [RRSAgent]
recorded in http://www.w3.org/2002/09/26-ws-arch-irc#T20-45-14

Chair: Mike Champion <mike.champion@softwareag-usa.com>
Scribe: Saqar Wadiq