Simple Knowledge Organization System (SKOS)
SKOS is a common data model for sharing and linking knowledge organization systems via the Web.
Many knowledge organization systems, such as thesauri, taxonomies, classification schemes and subject heading systems, share a similar structure, and are used in similar applications. SKOS captures much of this similarity and makes it explicit, to enable data and technology sharing across diverse applications.
The SKOS data model provides a standard, low-cost migration path for porting existing knowledge organization systems to the Semantic Web. SKOS also provides a lightweight, intuitive language for developing and sharing new knowledge organization systems. It may be used on its own, or in combination with formal knowledge representation languages such as the Web Ontology language (OWL).
A number of textbooks have been published on RDF, RDFS, and on Semantic Web in general. Please, refer to a separate page listing some of those, as maintained by the community. That list also includes references to conference proceedings and article collections that might be of general interest.
Welcome to the SKOS community wiki!
Your contributions are most welcome!
- Specifications, Documentation and References
- RDF Vocabularies
- Case Studies
- Find & Share SKOS Data
- Legacy links to Software Applications and Tools
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Proposals & Issues
- Relevant Organizations
- Mailing List and Contact
Tools that are listed as relevant to SKOS
Last modified and/or added
The description of the following tools have been added and/or modified most recently.
- outdated-xTree (last modified: 16 October 2014)
- Skosmos (last modified: 7 July 2014)
- VocBench (last modified: 17 February 2014)
- Semantic Turkey (last modified: 17 February 2014)
- Apache Marmotta (last modified: 9 February 2014)
All relevant tools
This is a list of all tools listed on this wiki, and that are marked as relevant to SKOS.
- ASKOSI - Application Services for Knowledge Organization and Systems Integration (api, validator, browser). Directly usable from Java
- ClioPatria (triple store, programming environment, reasoner, rule reasoner). Directly usable from Prolog, C
- Helping with Interdisciplinary Vocabulary Engineering (HIVE) (editor, extractor).
- iQvoc (editor, api).
- Linked Media Framework (triple store, rule reasoner). Directly usable from Java
- Lexaurus (editor, registry).
- MMI Ontology Registry and Repository (api, editor, registry).
- Apache Marmotta (triple store, rule reasoner). Directly usable from Java
- Intelligent Topic Manager (triple store, editor). Directly usable from Java
- Mulgara Semantic Store (triple store). Directly usable from Java
- OWLtoSKOS (converter).
- Open Metadata Registry (editor, registry).
- PoolParty Extractor (PPX) (converter, rdf generator, extractor, tagging, api). Directly usable from Java
- PoolParty Semantic Search(PPS) (semantic search server, programming environment, api). Directly usable from Java
- qSKOS - Quality Criteria for SKOS Vocabularies (validator). Directly usable from Java
- SKOS API (api). Directly usable from Java
- SKOS Consistency Checker (validator).
- SKOS Play! (visualizer, browser). Directly usable from Java
- SKOS2GenTax (converter).
- SKOS2OWL (converter, rdf generator).
- … further results
|Description||SKOS is a common data model for sharing and linking knowledge organization systems via the Web. +|
|DateThis property is a special property in this wiki.||18 August 2009 +|