WWW2003 SWAD-Europe project overview
SWAD-Europe: W3C Semantic Web Advanced Development for Europe
Dan Brickley <email@example.com> (W3C)
- ...is a 5 partner collaborative EU project
- ...originated within W3C's SW Activity
- ...extends SWAD(-MIT) previous development model
- ...is about and in support of W3C's SW Activity, but managed independently.
- ...complements and feeds into 'standards track' work
- ILRT / University of Bristol (project management)
- Hewlett Packard
- CCLRC / RAL
What kinds of things do we do?
- Collecting and answering FAQs (reports, online discussions)
- Exploring possible future work items (eg. RDF query)
- SW developer map in RDF/SVG (& postcard)
- Workshops, real and virtual; query, calendar, geo...
- Opensource tools and technology demonstrations
Technology and Application areas
- Reviewing and developing tools for accessing, storing and searching
- Case studies and demos, eg. thesaurus management, semantic blogging
- Developer discussion on "seed applications", such as image annotation, calendaring
- Technology integration: xml and rdf, schema languages, svg, query,
Collecting (and answering) FAQs...
SWAD-Europe is about providing answers to questions about RDF,
metadata, and the Semantic Web
- How do I combine RDF and XML Schema technology?
- What is the state of the art in RDF databases, query languages...?
- What practical techniques are there for combining Dublin Core, educational, multimedia, and rights metadata within a single application?
- Who else is exploring these issues?
Supporting SW developers through the RDF Interest Group
- Technical work (reports, demos)
- More focus on integration
- Support evolution of RDF Interest Group (SW Interest Group proposal)
- semi-formal developer collaboration (email, irc)
- using Semantic Web technology (RDF/OWL, SVG, RSS, rdf-calendar...)
- Lightweight collaboration as launchpad for more formal work (eg. RDF