3 Aug 2005
See also: IRC
1. Roll Call
- BEA Systems, Mark
- BEA Systems, David
- IBM, Chris Ferris
- IBM, Noah Mendelsohn
- Iona Technologies, Suresh
- Microsoft Corporation, Martin
- Nokia, Mike Mahan
- Oracle, Anish
- SeeBeyond, Pete Wenzel
- Sun Microsystems, Marc
- W3C, Yves Lafon
- Canon, Herve Ruellan
- Microsoft Corporation, Doug
- SAP AG, Volker
- Canon, Jean-Jacques
- Microsoft Corporation, Jeff
- Oracle, Jeff
- Sun Microsystems, Tony
- Mike Mahan
- Pete (offline) & Chris (online)
2. Agenda Review and call for AOB
- No AOB identified at beginning of call.. However, we did discussion
schedule in a couple spots. These discussions are moved to AOB section
at end of minutes
3.. Approval of July 27 Minutes
- Bad link in agenda, should be:
- Approval deferred until next meeting.
4. Action items
- Yves Send revised charter to member list for discussion –
for charter link and discussion.]
- Yves Check the PP implication of changing the old REC –
- Yves: Every new feature added to the old REC would force it to be
republished under the new patent policy. So we are constrained to
modifications that contain no new material.
- Noah: There is a general sense that we should not change the existing
REC in a way that would trigger the new patent policy. Perhaps our
charter should allow us to do that, if necessary.
- Yves: In current charter text, placement of new MEP work item is an
- Noah: We should be reluctant to make substantive changes to existing
- Mike Send notification to the WS CG about the upcoming work on the
one way MEP - DONE
- Anish Write a draft message on the ATF's issue 1 - PENDING
- <Yves> http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-rec-issues.html#x33
- Anish Should finish
- Anish Send ATF's issue 2 to xmlp-comment - DONE
- ML discussion starts here:
- Summary of discussion so far:
- Anish: Charter talks only about one-way MEP, but says nothing of the
binding. WSD requirement was for both (SOAP HTTP binding).
- There have been several proposals for async request/response
- Issue is to capture the Async Task Force requirement correctly
in the charter, not just a one-way MEP HTTP binding.
- So 2 points – 1) charter only talks about MEPS and not
bindings and 2) do we talk about req from ATF, or from those
supplied by WSD only?
- Noah: Noticed that charter specifies one-way MEP, but some of our
solutions were different from one-way.
- Is one-way MEP the requirement, or just a best-guess as to the
form of a solution?
- more important that we separate the requirements from the
solutions we might end up with
- reason we were being asked for oneway MEP is because another
group thought that was the best solution to their problem
- we should say what's really required and separate that from the
solutions we might develop
- See if DaveO's proposal is a conceivable solution under the
- Not advocating a particulat answer now – but would like
to make sure the charter enables all of the reasonable solutions
we might consider
- Anish: Async TF & WSA WG could not agree on the requirements,
- but WSD WG did. - they wanted a oneway MEP and binding
- Noah: DaveO's proposed solution wouldn't meet WSD WG's needs?
- Anish: Correct. They want one-way only, not req/resp with optional
response; that's what Async TF wanted. Not pushing back on trying to
include all these requirements in the charter.
- Noah: What if we offered WSD WG a profilable req/resp MEP? The
charter currently rules out having this discussion. It should allow
- DaveO, ChrisF: Concur.
- Mike: Propose modifying charter.
- amenable to modifying the
we should include WSD WG's requirements as one of the use
- MarcH: We should ask WSD WG if this meets their needs.
- Mike:redraft and get some ack from
them that it satisfies their requirements
- Noah: Charter should say something like, fulfill requirement as
specified by WSD WG. This implies checking with WSD to make sure they
- DaveO they didn't say that they need this
and only this (one way MEP)
- Mike: lets rewrite some of the
charter and pass this by the wsd
- buncha +1s
- MM: wording about
bindings is pretty explicit in WSD's request. Volunteer to
- DaveO: Will take a stab at it. CC WSG list? Prefer to iterate and
reach consensus here first.
- ACTION: DaveO to
draft charter revision language based on this discussion [recorded in
- Mike: Will bring it to Jonathan's attention.
- Mike: Would issue of new document vs. modified REC be separate from
- Yves: Yes.
- Mike: Is current language sufficient?
- Noah: As drafted, we are not necessarily closing off options, so it's
- ACTION: MikeM to communicate charter revisions to
WSD WG [recorded in
6. SOAP one-way
MEP and Binding
- Mike: Anish,
Chris and DaveO have all volunteered to serve as editors
- some administrative issues such as separate meeting and
- could just use subject convention like [EDITOR]... would like
the traffic to be archived
- Mike: the methodology is too set
the editors up with the input documents, and let them alert the WG to
issues as they craft a first draft.
- I would like this editorial
effort to begin in parallel to charter drafting.
7. SOAP 1.2 PER
specs Transition Status
- Yves: will be a directors call for WS-A... might
impact our decision
- Mike: when is this call?
- Yves: Monday
- Yves: We will know more about its potential impact on us after
- Yves: Suggest that REC issue 33 be rolled into PER document.
- Pete: discuss aug telcon
- Mike: summarizes for people
booted off call
I will be out 31st and possibly 24th or 17th We
meeting next week Aug 10
- MarkN: Concall schedule; current start time of 8:30. Historically it
had been 9:00. Can we move it back to the original time?
- Mike: Propose starting at 9:00 Pacific, for 60 minutes. If we need
more time, we can start at 8:30. All agreed.
- MarkN: Any F2F in near future?
- Mike: Yes, but not ready to plan for it yet, until we see what we've
got to do.
- Noah: Note advance notice requirements. Likely can't meet until
- <Yves> Meeting
announcement : 8 weeks
- DaveO: Hope we can do without a F2F.
- Mike: By mid-Sept we should be able to gauge necessity.
- Noah: usually a long shot to
call things on short notice
- Yves: Re PER transition status, call with Director re WS-A & XML
- on Monday.
- Mike: Re August concall schedule, will be meeting next week
- Either 17th or 24th will be cancelled, as well as 31st.
Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: DaveO to draft charter
revision language based on this discussion [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/08/03-xmlprotocol-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: MikeM to communicate charter
revisions to WSD WG [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2005/08/03-xmlprotocol-minutes.html#action02]