XMLP WG telcon minutes, 2 February 2005

1. Roll call
Present 8/8
Canon, Herve Ruellan
IBM, David Fallside (chair)
Microsoft Corporation, Martin Gudgin
Nokia, Michael Mahan
Oracle, Anish Karmarkar
SeeBeyond, Pete Wenzel (scribe)
Sun Microsystems, Marc Hadley
W3C, Yves Lafon

Canon, Jean-Jacques Moreau
Microsoft Corporation, Jeff Schlimmer
Oracle, Jeff Mischkinsky
Sun Microsystems, Tony Graham

BEA Systems, Mark Nottingham
SAP AG, Gerd Hoelzing

BEA Systems, David Orchard
IBM, John Ibbotson
IBM, Noah Mendelsohn
IONA Technologies, Suresh Kodichath
SAP AG, Volker Wiechers

2. Agenda review, and AOB

3. Approval of 26 January minutes (postponed)
Minutes have been posted this morning.  To be approved at next meeting

4. Review action items
2004/12/15: Yves
Request a charter extension for REC + 6 monthes
Now DONE.  Will discuss later in agenda.

2005/01/05: Editors
Fold errata in the spec, due 2/2/2005
Parts 1, 2 & Primer are done.  Anish has completed most changes for Test
Collection, should finish later today.

5. Status reports and misc
-- Announcement

DavidF: Will be retiring as chair of XMLP WG.  "It's been a challenge...
but I heartily recommend chairing a W3C WG."  Mike Mahan will take over as
chair, as of next meeting.

Mike: Wishes to thank David for his leadership over the years.
(Cheers from the gallery....)

-- Charter extension, new end date is recent Rec date plus 6 months.

Will be made public by early next week.

-- XMLP/WSD Task Force and WSDL Media Type document. (Anish)

Anish: Document has not been updated yet.  WSD WG is attempting to
resolve some issues on a low-priority basis.  Not decided yet whether
it will be a WG Draft or a Joint WG Note.  Any preference from this WG?

DavidF: Depends on magnitute of the issues and changes.  Do they affect
our work on this?

Anish: Changes have not been substantial.  One issue from Henry Thompson
could result in substantial changes, but no resolution on it yet.

DavidF: Is the task force still active?

Anish: No active discussion on the mailing list; issue resolutions are
copied to it.

6. SOAP 1.2 Recommendation maintenance
Plan from last week's telcon was for WG members to review the Primer and
Parts 1 and 2 so they could be prepared for submission as Proposed Rec
(Primer) and Proposed Edited Recs (Parts 1 & 2). If any WG member has
comments on these docs &/or wants time to review before final versions are
created for submission, they should indicate at the meeting, otherwise
final versions will be created and frozen. The WG is awaiting edits to the
TC doc. The WG needs an opportunity to review the TC doc before a final
version is submitted as a PER. All 4 P(E)R docs will be submitted at the
same time to W3C.

-- Part 1, see
-- Part 2, see

Herve: Problem with the stylesheet and formatting of tables.  Decided to
fix this when the spec is revised, so we should do that now.

Gudge: Fixed this in Part 1, but don't recall how; compare them and
replicate into Part 2 what was done in Part 1.

Herve: On the order of a dozen tables are affected.

Gudge: The problem is that the tables contain URIs that are very long,
so cannot be wrapped.  Not sure how we can fix this.

DavidF: In Table 9, for example, we could insert line breaks after the
"http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap/" prefix for each URI.

Gudge attempts this; tries inserting newlines, as well as <BR>s, but
they get stripped out when HTML is generated.  Need to spend more time
figuring out how to make this work.  Put them in as plain text, and they
still don't wrap.

Yves will query W3C QA group for a solution.

Yves notes that we need to replace Appendix A with a reference to RFC 3902.

-- Primer, see

Nilo has made some changes that should be cosmetic.

Boilerplate is missing, because it is an Ed Copy.

Yves will generate final (proposed) copies with unpublished URIs for
sanity-check review.

David and Mike will review boilerplate etc of Primer and other docs prior to

DavidF: WG needs to review Primer.  Changelog has been left in; pull it
out just before going REC.

-- Test Collection, edits due on 2/2/05

Anish: Will finish by tonight.

DavidF: Review all these docs before meeting next week, and make decision
about submission.

All will be published as P(E)R (Proposed Edited Recommendation).
David argued to the W3C that Primer need not go back to LC, even though it has
additional content for MTOM/XOP/RH, because it is non-normative and it describes
material that has been through W3C review process.

7. MTOM, XOP, RRSHB Recommendation maintenance (placeholder agenda item)
Comments against these have been received.
Yves will add these to REC issue list.