Minutes of XMLP WG telcon, 21 July 2004
>1. Roll call. Scribe for minutes selected from attached list. Actions
to be recorded on IRC. (830PT + 5)
IBM, David Fallside
IBM, John Ibbotson
IBM, Noah Mendelsohn
IONA Technologies, Suresh Kodichath
Microsoft Corporation, Martin Gudgin
Oracle, Anish Karmarkar (scribe)
Sun Microsystems, Tony Graham
W3C, Yves Lafon
Microsoft Corporation, Jeff Schlimmer
Oracle, Jeff Mischkinsky
Sun Microsystems, Marc Hadley
BEA Systems, Mark Nottingham
Canon, Herve Ruellan
Canon, Jean-Jacques Moreau
SAP AG, Gerd Hoelzing
SAP AG, Volker Wiechers
SeeBeyond, Pete Wenzel
BEA Systems, David Orchard
Nokia, Michael Mahan
>2. Agenda review, and AOB (835 + 5)
>The Important Stuff
>This will likely be a short call given
>3. Approval of minutes, 23 & 30 June, 7 & 14 July (840 + 0)
>Pending publication of minutes.
>4. Review action items, see
http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/Admin/#pending. These action items are
taken from the XMLP member page. Some AIs are listed under agenda item
#6 (840 + 10)
Yves to record the status of AIs.
>Write up errata text for rec20*, rec22*, Rec18*, Rec19* and Rec24*
(and Rec23*, Rec21*, Rec26* (20040609))
Yves: for rec20 the resolution does not seem to be complete. I have sent an
email regd. this.
DavidF: JohnI can you in conjunction with Yves come up with a resolution for
Yves & JohnI to resolve this.
>Send email to ietf-type list about XOP and MTOM
>Resolve issues 480, 476, 478, 468, 469, 471 and send email to XMLP
>PARTIALLY DONE, email still needed for 480
Email has been send by Anish with the closing text.
This AI is done.
>Resolve issue 472 by using the term Optimized Content instead of
>Incorporate resolution of issue 473
>Incorporate resolution to Issue 474
>Incorporate resolution to Issue 475 (with the friendly amendment from
>Incorporate resolution to Issue 477
>Send email to xmlp-comments and originator to close issue 481
>Send email to xmlp-comments and orginator to close issue 479
>2004/07/07: Editors (XOP/MTOM/Representation)
>Resolve issue 492 and send email back to xmlp-comments and commentator
>PARTIALLY DONE, email has not been sent
>2004/07/07: Editors (Rep)
>Incorporate Gudge's draft text in closing issue 479 (part 4)
>2004/07/07: XOP Editors
>Incorporate resolution of issue 483
>2004/07/07: XOP Editors
>Incorporate resolution of issue 486
>Ensure that the documents reflect our decision in closing 451 (
mandating use of cid: scheme)
>Generate a rough timetable showing CR and post-CR FTF meeting
>DONE, see below
>Send mail to WSDesc group asking for clarification on semantics of
'required' in the optimization feature.
>Invite Nilo to upcoming telcon to discuss the primer
>DONE, Nilo will attend 28 July telcon
Nilo will be on the call next week.
>Investigate use of start-info and make a proposal for resolving issue
470 by 2004-07-26
>Snd closing e-mail to xmlp-comments and commentator for Issue 487
>Incorporate resolution to Issue 487
>Send mail to Fujisawa-san and xmlp-comments closing Issue 493 and
providing our rationale
>Send closing e-mail for Issue 494 to Fujisawa-san and xmlp-comments
providing our rationale
>Send closing e-mail for Issue 495
>Resolve Issue 496 and send closing e-mail
>Resolve Issue 497 and send closing e-mail
>Send e-mail to Fujisawa-san asking for clarification on Issue 498
>Send closing e-mail for 499
>5. Status reports and misc (8.50 + 15)
>We will not finish resolving issues until next week's telcon (e.g.
issue 470 resolution proposal is not due until that telcon). Most of the
issues resolutions to date have been incorporated into the specs and so
we should be able to generate drafts of the CR documents by the end of
that week (editors should contact me if they will be away Aug 28th -
30th). That gives us a week or so to review the docs, and we should be
able to decide to seek CR at our Aug 11th meeting, and enter CR that
week. A CR period of 3-4 weeks is appropriate, depending upon how many
implementations are expected and whether the associated developers are
prepared to generate a feature list. A 4 week CR would end around 10
Sept. We have discussed a f2f meeting between CR and PR, and a suitable
time for such a meeting would be the week of 20 Sept: Are there any
volunteers to host such a meeting? PR follows a week or so afterwards.
Note that I will be away for the telcons normally scheduled for 18
August and 1 Sept and will be recommend cancelling those meetings,
perhaps in addition to others in August (our normal annual "downtime").
David: Next week we should have resolved all the issues. Most of the issues
resolved to date have been incorporated in the spec. Hoping to have
version of CR docs by end of next week giving the editors a day or
unresolved issues. We should then spend the following week to review
We could then enter CR the week of 13th aug.
David: generating a list of features, as discussed last week the dev of
implementation might be the best people to develop this. I think 3-4
CR period is reasonable. F2F meeting between CR and PR. If we end CR
10th sept. We can look at having a F2F a week after that (20th). SAP
has offered to host the F2F in Palo Alto.
Yves: will investigate f2f hosting at MIT
David: wrt to CR, at the SF F2F in dec 2003 we did ask for members who have
impl. to raise their hands.
Gudge: MS will be implementing it. Canon also plans to do it.
>-- Media types registrations, i.e. "application/soap+xml" and
MarkN not on the call.
>-- XMLP/WSD Task Force and WSDL Media Type document
Anish: nothing to report, but WSD is having a F2F meeting in two weeks
issues related to media-type doc are on the agenda. Except some
the WSD ML and the TF ML.
>-- Start Primer review,
members are asked to review and post comments in time for 28 July telcon
when the Primer Editor will be present.
Nilo will be present on next week's call.
>6. Attachments (9.05 + 30)
>-- Last Call Issues:
>We will discuss each issue in turn to determine whether we can resolve
it. For issues that are obviously resolvable, we will solicit volunteers
to write-up proposals. All other issues will be tabled for further
>o 470, pushback from GrahamK, see
members attending last week's telcon were inclined to agree with GK. We
are awaiting a proposal from MarkN, due 26 July.
Waiting for proposal form MarkN
David: when we resolve this issue then do we need a new media type?
Gudge: we need one for xop but not for mtom
David: once this issue gets resolved we may have to change the media
>o 490, http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-lc-issues#x490, Describing
which blobs are to be optimized.
Anish: MarcH had sent an email regarding this
Gudge: I have already included the text from the email (acceptedMediaType
Anish: perhaps there are two issues one related to the MTOM feature and the
required attribute and the other related to the acceptedMediaType
Yves: are we changing the infoset here by incorporating the
Yves: then I'm ok with the change.
Noah: I have some reservation about this, as we do not make schema mandatory
Gudge: we could add the phrase -- if schema is available.
David: proposal is that we add ", if a schema is available" to the text
David: chair posposes to close issue 490 with the proposal above.
No objections. Issue is closed.
Gudge to send an email to xmlp-comments regd this.
David: with regards to Marc's email we need to close that with WSD WG. I
take an action to follow up on this.
>o 498, http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-lc-issues#x498,
"Content-Transfer-Encoding" header in HTTP/1.1. Awaiting clarification
David: did send a request for clarification, haven't heard back. Will
action to send another email to the originator.
>7. SOAP 1.2 Recommendation maintenance (postponed)
>-- Issues and proposed resolutions
>o Issue 25, http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-rec-issues.html#x25,
"media type registration". Issue text describes a couple of ways to
proceed. This issue is pending IANA registration of media type.