XMLP WG telcon minutes, 26 May 2004

1. Roll call.
Present 13/10
BEA Systems, Mark Nottingham
Canon, Herve Ruellan
IBM, David Fallside
IBM, John Ibbotson
Microsoft Corporation, Martin Gudgin
Nokia, Michael Mahan
Oracle, Anish Karmarkar
SAP AG, Volker Wiechers
SAP AG, Gerd Hoelzing
SeeBeyond, Pete Wenzel (scribe)
Sun Microsystems, Marc Hadley
Sun Microsystems, Tony Graham
W3C, Yves Lafon

BEA Systems, David Orchard
Canon, Jean-Jacques Moreau
IBM, Noah Mendelsohn
Microsoft Corporation, Jeff Schlimmer
Oracle, Jeff Mischkinsky

IONA Technologies, Suresh Kodichath

2. Agenda review, and AOB

3. Approval of minutes from 19 May telcon
No corrections; minutes are approved without objection.

4. Review action items. Items whose status has changed since agenda published.
2004/03/14: Michael
Update the xbinc:include FAQ and turn it into a WD by april 21

2004/05/12: Tony
Do an analysis of Web Services i18n Requirement Doc. Due 2004-05-26
Done: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2004May/0053.html
Tony: There are two requirements regarding SOAP, but there is nothing
wrong with their use of SOAP terminology.  It imposes no responsibility
on us.  Just fixes, should be nothing XMLP needs to be concerned about.
Will draft an email stating this today, post to member list, and forward
it to i18n Monday morning if there are no comments.

2004/05/19: JohnI
Send e-mail to xmlp-comments and originator for Rec20

2004/05/19: JohnI
Send e-mail to xmlp-comments and originator for Rec22

2004/05/19: Editors
Incorporate changes for last call into the specs, by 2004-05-24/25

5. Status reports and misc

-- Media types registrations, i.e. "application/soap+xml" and
MarkN: No news.

-- XMLP/WSD Task Force and WSDL Media Type document, currently at

-- WG asked to review "Assigning Media Types to Binary Data in XML".
Comment summary from Anish, any other comments?
14 issues have been raised by WSD WG, 3 of which have been resolved.
We will send WSD WG the results of our discussion about these.
WSD WG will wait for this before submitting for publication as a WD.

Anish: Issue MT3 name "accepted media type".  Preferred "expected
media type".  Accepted unanimously.
MT6 was a bug in schema; expected media type should allow a list.
MT5: Thought this had to do with providing examples re contentType used
within complexType, but there is some confusion about this.  If this is
the case, then it is not a showstopper.

DavidF: Since we reference this document, would prefer it to be published
as a WD sooner, rather than later.  Will respond to Jonathan Marsh,
stating that XMLP WG finds no serious issue and recommends publication
as a WD.  Until it is published, we will have to continue referencing
the CVS version, which is a stable URL, modulo recent server downtime.

-- LC documents:
o Representation header
Yves will make changes necessary to conform to publication requirements and
forward URLs to the WG.

-- Docs associated with LC:
o Attachment Feature
o Use Cases
o xop:Include FAQ
Yves will place latest EDs of Attachment Feature and Use Cases docs
into CVS, and also forward those URLs.

DavidF: When these near-final versions are made available, please perform
sanity checks.

-- Status of discussion with DOM WG
MarkN: Our intent was misunderstood.  It's ok if we subclass/profile DOM.
This has been done before.  Hoping DOM WG would take on this work.
DavidF: Hearing no further discussion, we can move past this issue.

6. Attachments
-- Issues:
o issue 467, http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-issues.html#x467, use
cases for Representation Header

Feedback from Michael Champion to xmlp-comments:

MarcH also noted use case for allowing multiple references to the same

MichaelM: UC2 covers a high-level notion of what MichaelC describes.
UC6 covers Marc's concern.

MarcH: Think it would be useful to add clarification to the use cases
to clear up misconceptions.

MarkN: Wouldn't need to hold up LC if we classify this as an editorial,
not technical, issue.

Yves: Could insert this in the introduction after LC approval, during
final document preparation process.

DavidF: That involves waiting another week to agree on the text.
Would prefer not to put this off again.  If we can't do it in a few
minutes now, chair will contact Michael Champion to seek agreement to
consider it to be editorial.

Anish suggests adding a sentence to 2.1.

MarcH: Could also refer to UC2 & UC6.

MichaelM: Last sentence of this section summarizes UC2.  We could add
a similar statement for UC6, and finish with "See UC2 & UC6 for more

Anish: Assume that text will be appended to first paragraph of Section
2.1.  Edit for better flow.

Proposed text (replacement for entire first paragraph of 2.1):
"The Representation header block is designed to allow applications to
carry a representation of a Web resource in a SOAP message. Applications
of this header include cases where the receiver has limited ability
to get the representation using other means, for example because of
access restrictions or because the overhead would be unacceptable. The
representation header is also required when multiple references to the
same extracted content are required but duplication of extracted content
is undesirable. See UC 2 and UC 6 for details."

Agreed to accept this text.  Issue 467 is closed.  Gudge will send
closing email.

7. SOAP 1.2 Recommendation maintenance
-- Issues and proposed resolutions

Yves is in the process of updating errata with Rec20 & Rec22 decisions.

o Issue 18, http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-rec-issues.html#x18,
Editorial comments on 1.2 specs, see issue for proposed resolutions

DavidF: Mostly involves corrections to document URLs.
No objections; issue is closed by accepting the proposal.

o Issue 19, http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-rec-issues.html#x19, SOAP
1.2 Test collection Errors (4), see proposal at

Anish: These are bug fixes.

No objections; issue is closed by accepting Anish's proposal.

o Issue 23, http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-rec-issues.html#x23, SOAP
1.2 Test Collection Errors (5), the issue contains a proposed resolution

Anish will propose a resolution.

-- Volunteer sought to create resolution for issue 21,
http://www.w3.org/2000/xp/Group/xmlp-rec-issues.html#x21, "order of array
dimension sizes, clarification requested".

This was split off from issue 11.
MarcH will propose a resolution.

Yves: email from Carine noted typos in Part 0 examples:
This will be issue 24.

DavidF: Missing namespace prefix in examples.

Yves will make changes, create & close issue.

DavidF: We should see final documents today and receive LC approval
next week.