Minutes of XMLP WG telcon, 17 March 2004

Based on IRC log

1. Roll
Present 8/6
Canon, Herve Ruellan
IBM, Noah Mendelsohn
IBM, David Fallside
IONA Technologies, Seumas Soltysik
Nokia, Michael Mahan
SAP AG, Volker Wiechers
SAP AG, Gerd Hoelzing
W3C, Yves Lafon (scribe)

Canon, Jean-Jacques Moreau
IBM, John Ibbotson
IONA Technologies, Mike Greenberg

BEA Systems, Mark Nottingham
BEA Systems, David Orchard
Oracle, Anish Karmarkar
SeeBeyond, Pete Wenzel
Systinet, Jacek Kopecky
Microsoft Corporation, Martin Gudgin

DaimlerChrysler R. & Tech, Mario Jeckle
DaimlerChrysler R. & Tech, Andreas Riegg
Microsoft Corporation, Jeff Schlimmer
Oracle, Jeff Mischkinsky
Sun Microsystems, Tony Graham
Sun Microsystems, Marc Hadley
Systinet, Miroslav Simek

[Noah] I note there is a ws-i meeting this week.  Perhaps that explains low attendance
on this call?

[ScrYves] 2. minutes approval, postponed
[ScrYves] ----------------------
[ScrYves] 3. review of action items
[ScrYves] See agenda
[ScrYves] all SOAP Rec. Errata issues closed (were pending in the agenda) as well
as subissue
[ScrYves] otherwise, as stated in agenda
[ScrYves] ------------------------
4. Status Reports
[ScrYves] media type reg: waiting on XML1.1 thus no report today
[ScrYves] XMLP/WSD TF: (no report)
[ScrYves] Responding to XML Query:
[ScrYves] (no progress)
[ScrYves] report from 11TF:
[ScrYves] Noah: short version: see the 2 starting emails starting threads in dist-app
[ScrYves] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2004Mar/0023.html
[ScrYves] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2004Mar/0024.html
[ScrYves] 2 questions:
[ScrYves] allowed characters in infoset (wrt serialazability of the infoset in XML)
[ScrYves] should we say that we restrict infoset to what is serializable in XML 1.0
or just in XML 
[ScrYves] the latter case may have issues with already defined bindings
[ScrYves] next question is the current HTTP binding
[ScrYves] it needs clarification as the media type declaration potentially allow both
XML 1.1 and 1.0
[ScrYves] issue with new line end. different issue as it doesn't appear in the infoset
[ScrYves] relationship with data model and encoding (ex: edge labels being a qname)
[ScrYves] also type names are qnames, potentially an issue with XML 1.1 because of
dependency with schema
[ScrYves] possible link to WSDL
[ScrYves] also need to track all our specs to look at XML version dependancies
[ScrYves] 3 cases: the hop by hop serialization case, the infoset reconstruction
issue and all of other specs
[ScrYves] ---
[ScrYves] WSDL media type
[ScrYves] WSD has adopted Umit's proposal as a deliverable
[Noah] Is there a link to Umit's proposal?  I didn't see the text or a link in Jonathan
Marsh's note.  Thanks.
[ScrYves] WSD is offering us a way to become a co-editor and have this as a joint
[ScrYves] is there a volunteer or shall we just review this document at a later time?
no repsonse from WG
[ScrYves] DavidF will send a request to the member list (as attendance is low)
[ScrYves] ----
[ScrYves] MTOM/XOP - Xinclude FAQ
[ScrYves] a volunteer is needed is to start drafting a FAQ out of the f2f minutes
[ScrYves] MikeM volunteered to do this
[ScrYves] ---
[ScrYves] review of core/xmlp session during our recent f2f meeting
[ScrYves] no objection to accepting those minutes
[ScrYves] (DavidF may do some editorial changes)
[ScrYves] --------------------
[ScrYves] 6: Attachments
[ScrYves] there is a new doc, the representation header
[ScrYves] edcopy skeleton created by gudge, 455 and 457 incorporated, got clarification
request from Herve & JJM
[ScrYves] David: would be nice to go from edcopy to WD asap
[ScrYves] Yves: changes will be done before next teleconference
[ScrYves] DavidF: I think there is also some text due from Mark about extensibility
[ScrYves] ------------------
[ScrYves] 452
[ScrYves] (on data scheme URI, and optimization of attribute content)
[ScrYves] last week the WG decided that the move back to infoset was not enough to
reopen the issue
[ScrYves] we now have a formal objection on this topic, and this objection is a recast
of last telcon's discussion
[ScrYves] Herve: JJM also added some background
[ScrYves] issue is that SVG won't be able to use XOP
[ScrYves] Noah: disagree with JJM that going back to infoset is a big change
[ScrYves] on the other hand it seems there may be an important use case behind this
[ScrYves] there are added complexity to address the attribute case, so it would be
necessary to have a compelling use case to balance the pros and cons
[ScrYves] Yves: want to know if data URI is only legacy once XOP is there or not
[ScrYves] Herve: the basic use case is carrying svg in a soap message and being able
to optimize SVG files.
[ScrYves] Herve: will try to get more info from SVG people
[ScrYves] -------
[ScrYves] 447
[ScrYves] DavidF: are we approaching a resolution?
[ScrYves] MarkN's proposal http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2004Mar/0022.html
[ScrYves] crux is to have a package media and a root media type of application/soap_xop+xml
[ScrYves] Noah: I think no-one objected to this proposal, and this was the result
of the discussion at SFO's f2f
[ScrYves] no-one on the telcon objects either
[ScrYves] ---
[ScrYves] 464
[ScrYves] see http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xml-dist-app/2004Mar/0014.html
[ScrYves] probably just editorial issues to discuss 
[ScrYves] ----------
[ScrYves] 7
[ScrYves] Anish has an extensive proposal on rec19
[ScrYves] postponed to next week.
[Zakim] WS_XMLP()11:30AM has ended

[RRSAgent] I see 2 open action items:
[RRSAgent] ACTION: DavidF to probe the WG about 464 and 447 [1]
[RRSAgent] ACTION: DavidF ot ping Anish wrt 443 and media type document from WSD 
(and give a link to Umit's proposal to the group) [2]