Author: Joseph Reagle
Question: What is the status of W3C interest on this topic?
Joseph M. Reagle Jr.
IETF/W3C XML Signatures Co-Chair
The W3C community thinks this is an important topic:
- Has been discussed at:
- Will be discussed at:
- B2BXML (this BoF)
- WWW9 and W3C Advisory Committee meeting in May 2000.
It is useful to gather the requirements and get a sense of the architectural components
involved. Hopefully technical or institutional directions can then be readily perceived.
- Related application: XHTML Forms WG just issued Requirements Document: XML form submission
- Related dependency: some of the proposals could be bettered aligned with XML
schemas (or suggest improvements to schema work).
Is this about 'protocols', 'data types', or 'data formats'? (What are the features,
requirements, and dependencies?) A modular approach is a "good thing"
- W3C interest in having it be a public/open WG (W3C or elsewhere).
- Some marketplace interest in taking one 80/20 solution and moving quickly; some
marketplace interest in ensuring the problem is well defined before adopting any such
- W3C wants to see this move forward and participate in the discussion about the best way
to achieve timely and coordinated advancement (e.g., if the design space permits it,
separate specs with stated dependencies moving through each institution, or a joint WG,