Breakout Session Summary Transparencies
What are the issues?
W3C Workshop on Web Device Independent Authoring
Tuesday 3 October 2000
- Variables = Channel
- device, modality, target language, synch device, navigation model, author intent, user intent
- New devices
- Easy authoring
- Clarify devices
- Standards must address conformance to reference model
- Not one page fits all, but attempt it
- Author independent of channel but not unaware
- Look and feel independent of browser (eg WAP)
- Application needs the ability to determine the capabilities of the device
- Programming model to deal with diversity
- Conformance & classification
- Both 1 & 2 important
- even split
- also easy authoring
Should the author be able to force design will, or should the user make a choice?
- When is special authoring necessary for multiple channels?
- What markup should be used for authoring content that is channel-independent?
- How can content be selected for use with specific devices or preferences?
- Can solutions scale from single author to large-scale authoring?
- Multi-modal solutions are very different from text-only.
- Can we capture a range of scenarios that should be considered?
- Interaction & flow
- user/author dialogue facilitated
- Real world concerns
- development and deployment.
- educating users, developers, how it all fits together.
- (Im)possibility of separation of content, presentation & interaction
- fidelity of semantics / capturing intent
- Accessibility of devices – must ensure all new devices are accessible to disabled users.
- How to make intent explicit (describing function)
- High level descriptions (screen readers)
- Try to use common markup where practical for voice / visual
- Move burden from authors to UA [User Agent]
- How far can we push dialogs?
- Need for common framework to express semantics
- How to handle scripts in a device independent way
- How to deal with old / existing content
- How to deal with old browsers (many people don’t update their browsers frequently, legacy issue)
- Ways to describe classes of devices
- Automatic discovery of UA’s
- SMIL Switch -> different devices
- Where / when to transform / adapt (bandwidth issue)